
kikipeepers asked
Archbishop Bans Eulogies at Funeral Masses Thu Jan 23, 9:58 AM ET NEWARK, N.J. (Reuters) - A U.S. archbishop has banned eulogies during funeral masses, saying the personal tributes were getting out of hand. In a decree to local priests Archbishop John J. Myers of Newark, New Jersey, said last week there was growing abuse of eulogies by friends and family members and the tributes should be delivered before or after the mass or at graveside or the funeral home. A spokesman for the archdiocese said the tributes were a distraction from the scriptural message of the mass and that eulogies traditionally had not been part of Catholic funeral rites. The decree has angered some parishioners. The issue is extremely sensitive because family members want the opportunity to say something personal at the mass, but 'there is an understandable concern about things in various ways getting out of hand...'
125 answers · 0 comments
Answer this yourself in the app
See how this splits by age, gender, and region in the app.