Racist, unfunny, hilarious, confusing, lame. Reactions are as varied as they are strong to the New York Post cartoon that depicted the police shooting of a chimpanzee. Two police officers, one with a smoking gun, are near the chimp's bullet-pierced body. "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill," one officer says.

The Post's Sean Delonas used a typical editorial cartoon trope of linking two current news stories: the shooting of a chimp after it mauled a Connecticut woman and President Obama's signing of the stimulus bill. But soon after the issue hit newsstands, the Rev. Al Sharpton, and other black opinion makers such as CNN's Roland Martin, blasted the cartoon as an attack on Obama's skin color and African-Americans in general...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/19/chimp.cartoon.react/index.html Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

922 hits 4.0 (2 votes) Share Favorite | Flag 13 years ago by KikiPeepers

Do you think the New York Post's cartoon regarding a chimp and President Obama is offensive, or is it the same as President Bush being compared to a chimpanzee?
Racist, unfunny, hilarious, confusing, lame. Reactions are as varied as they are strong to the New York Post cartoon that depicted the police shooting of a chimpanzee. Two police officers, one with a smoking gun, are near the chimp's bullet-pierced body. "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill," one officer says.

The Post's Sean Delonas used a typical editorial cartoon trope of linking two current news stories: the shooting of a chimp after it mauled a Connecticut woman and President Obama's signing of the stimulus bill. But soon after the issue hit newsstands, the Rev. Al Sharpton, and other black opinion makers such as CNN's Roland Martin, blasted the cartoon as an attack on Obama's skin color and African-Americans in general...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/19/ch...


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 44)

Bottom Last Post

13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 3:45:06 AM EST (GMT-5)
i understand why they think it's racist but frankly i really could care less, you know freedom of speech
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 4:30:09 AM EST (GMT-5)
its like comparing apples with mars. Alot of people are idiots. I am not going to explain anything more. Except that i want to be a hermit.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 5:10:34 AM EST (GMT-5)
I don't think it's racist, just in poor taste.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 1:35:18 PM EST (GMT-5)
It's the same. I've drawn Bush as a monkey tons of times. And Chimps are actually smart for an animal.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 1:50:20 PM EST (GMT-5)
Why would a black person automatically identify themselves as a chimpanzee? It seems like they're insecure. Black people are not monkeys they are humans so there's no reason to assume a chimp is representative of a black guy - - unless you're racist or insecure.

People called Bush a chimp for years and no-one cried racism.

Get over yourselves.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 1:53:02 PM EST (GMT-5)
Anyone who says it's racist is secretly racist!
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 2:37:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
I could care less.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 2:46:26 PM EST (GMT-5)
I don't think it was necessarily MEANT to be racist, but it comes off that way.
It's not the same as calling Bush a chimp, because the same "monkey stigma" isn't attached to white people.

This stigma is derived from a supposedly "scholarly" text from the mid-1800s, called "The Negro: What is his Ethnological Status?"

And I quote:

"[W]e take up the monkey, and trace him ... through his upward and advancing orders – baboon, ourang-outang and gorilla, up to the negro, another noble animal, the noblest of the beast creation. The difference between these higher orders of the monkey and the negro is very slight, and consists mainly in this one thing: the negro can utter sounds that can be imitated; hence he could talk with Adam and Eve, for they could imitate his sounds.”

NOW can people see why it's 100x more offensive to compare a black man to a chimp?
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 2:49:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
I mean, there's a history of comparing the two in order to cast black people in a negative light (the author of that text even went so far as to say that "negroes have no souls," by the way).

It's not the same as an off-the-cuff comment about the faces Bush makes looking similar to the faces chimps make.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 3:25:08 PM EST (GMT-5)
Ask yourself why would anyone compare Obama to a monkey other than because he is Black.

With Bush it was because of his facial expressions, people went out of their way to find comparative pictures, which by and large proved there was a significant similarity.

That's not the case with Obama though. With the dead chimp cartoon they are not comparing him to the chimp, they are insinuating the chimp IS Obama and also that the police officers have assasinated him.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 3:28:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
In today's world, calling someone dumb (comparing white guy toa chimp) is a lot less inflammatory than the racist implication of calling a black guy a chimp. There's a history of calling black people apes as an insult, but not one of calling white people apes.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 4:51:02 PM EST (GMT-5)
uhh this cartoon is actually mocking that chimp mauling incident and the stimulus package, so it isn't even portraying obama as a chimp... so no.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 4:53:18 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/22/09 - 3:25:08 PM Boredofu wrote:
Ask yourself why would anyone compare Obama to a monkey other than because he is Black. With Bush it was because of his facial expressions, people went out of their way to find comparative pictures, which by and large proved there was a significant similarity. That's not the case with Obama though. With the dead chimp cartoon they are not comparing him to the chimp, they are insinuating the chimp IS Obama and also that the police officers have assasinated him.

One of the seven signs.
I agree 100% with boredofu. Couldn't state it any better than this.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 4:55:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
For the last time, THE MONKEY'S NOT OBAMA

The cartoon is just saying the stimulus was badly written, the old monkeys-on-typewriters joke. It's not about anyone in particular.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 4:58:40 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/22/09 - 4:55:23 PM Cheese King wrote:
For the last time, THE MONKEY'S NOT OBAMA The cartoon is just saying the stimulus was badly written, the old monkeys-on-typewriters joke. It's not about anyone in particular.

Oh, of course.
Just a coincidence that the writer of the stimulus is black, right?
Get your head out of your ass.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 5:12:01 PM EST (GMT-5)
^Obama wrote the stimulus plan? wow, how does he have time to draft a 1,000 page bill? man, either he can type REALLY fast, or he has more time on his hands than congressmen and senators. unless you are referring to the staffer who wrote the bill (or whoever actually did), then fair enough. but I kind of doubt you know who wrote it. and I am also pretty sure that the bill was written in the capitol not in the white house, I mean it is legislation...
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 5:50:10 PM EST (GMT-5)

^^^^^^^^^^
You know what I mean, asshole.
You also know what the cartoonist meant.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 7:35:34 PM EST (GMT-5)
i think its funny
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 10:51:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/22/09 - 3:25:08 PM Boredofu wrote:
Ask yourself why would anyone compare Obama to a monkey other than because he is Black.

Ok...let us consider why/who might be compared to a chimp, and why.
Pres. Obama didn't write the stimulus bill, the monkey did- why do we assume that the author was referencing him?
Congress enjoys less popularity than the President, and they wrote the bill. Perhaps it is focused at them?
The idea of chimps on typewriters that Cheese King mentioned is a probable allusion.

On Sunday 2/22/09 - 3:25:08 PM Boredofu wrote:
... they are not comparing him to the chimp, they are insinuating the chimp IS Obama and also that the police officers have assasinated him.

Again, no. All they have done is insinuated that the stimulus bill was written by monkeys. Obama was not mentioned or even referenced.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 11:33:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
He doesn't need to be "referenced", It's a cartoon not an essay.

and Congress voted on the bill.... everywhere I look I see it referred to as President Obama's stimulus package.

Congress didn't formulate the bill on their own intitiative did they?

I'm sure he didn't personally type it nor did he think up every aspect of it but as President he commisioned it and as he has said, the buck stops here.

13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Sunday 2/22/09 - 11:42:31 PM EST (GMT-5)
Reading the cartoon, it didn't make me think of Obama, but I don't follow US politics too closely.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/23/09 - 1:04:21 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/22/09 - 11:33:44 PM Boredofu wrote:
He doesn't need to be "referenced", It's a cartoon not an essay. and Congress voted on the bill.... everywhere I look I see it referred to as President Obama's stimulus package. Congress didn't formulate the bill on their own intitiative did they? I'm sure he didn't personally type it nor did he think up every aspect of it but as President he commisioned it and as he has said, the buck stops here.


As far as i know the only bill a president can write is the yearly budget and he can only draft that.




Educate yourself
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/23/09 - 1:35:19 AM EST (GMT-5)
Did I say he wrote it?

No I didn't, I said he comissioned it, so shove your link and your wanky comment up your arse.

13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/23/09 - 8:06:39 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Monday 2/23/09 - 1:35:19 AM Boredofu wrote:
Did I say he wrote it?

No, but the cartoon says the chimp did. Using your argument, how can the cartoon be about him?
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/23/09 - 8:35:51 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Monday 2/23/09 - 1:35:19 AM Boredofu wrote:
Did I say he wrote it? No I didn't, I said he comissioned it, so shove your link and your wanky comment up your arse.


actually for the record bush commissioned it, obama asked bush to hold off until he was in office, in essence obama had nothing to do with this at all but his signature on the paper

Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 44)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 What does your money do?

2 If you had a genetic disease, would you reproduce?

3 Do you live in a home that has been owned by your family for multiple generations?

4 Do you ever leave your dog in your vehicle with the windows rolled down a bit?

5 How do you pronounce the word 'Italian'?

6 Have you ever seen an Aurora?

7 Have you ever won a radio competition?

8 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

9 Do people become more likeable once they`ve realized their faults?

10 Did Donald Trump commit insurrection with his speech on January 6, 2021?

More Questions
 
Edit