Moneyed marrieds have long forced their less wealthy spouses to sign prenuptial agreements outlining how much they'd get should they divorce. 

But now there's a new trend in matrimonial law, the postnuptial agreement - hammered out after the wedding bells. 

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02082009/news/regionalnews/postnups_for_wary_wedded_154073.htm Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

733 hits 4.0 (1 vote) Share Favorite | Flag 13 years ago by KikiPeepers

If you are/were married and were presented with a postnuptual agreement, would you sign it with no problems or would you see it as impending doom for your marriage and refuse?
Moneyed marrieds have long forced their less wealthy spouses to sign prenuptial agreements outlining how much they'd get should they divorce.

But now there's a new trend in matrimonial law, the postnuptial agreement - hammered out after the wedding bells.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0208200...


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 31)

Bottom Last Post

13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/9/09 - 10:47:43 PM EST (GMT-5)
If I could see a logical reason for signing it, I would do so. I can't imagine what logical reason that would be though.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/9/09 - 10:54:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
I will never sign one of those. I think they're insulting.
Any guy who marries me would have to trust me.

Then again, I'm not trying to marry any rich men so I probably won't ever have it come up. Who knows.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Monday 2/9/09 - 10:55:39 PM EST (GMT-5)
Since technically I can't get married, I suppose this isn't really something I have to think about.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 10:25:25 AM EST (GMT-5)
I see no reason not to sign it...the only people who are afraid to sign it are people who aren't sure about the relationship and plan on going somewhere.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 10:25:52 AM EST (GMT-5)
Thieves, I should say.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 10:27:50 AM EST (GMT-5)
I would sign it. I understand why someone would want one, and I would do the same if need be.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 1:38:09 PM EST (GMT-5)
no I wouldn't, marriage should be based on trust. Although it might depend on their reason behind it
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 1:45:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
I would be insulted by it, to be honest. Why did we even get married if there's an inkling of doubt whether we'll stay together or not?
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 2:14:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
Offering to sign such an agreement expresses the doubts. Refusing to sign confirms them!
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 2:42:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think I'd have a big argument about it, which would precipitate the end.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:07:15 PM EST (GMT-5)
If it ain't broke don't fix it. This would light up the warning signal for me.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:10:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Monday 2/9/09 - 10:55:39 PM pepperdrinks wrote:
Since technically I can't get married, I suppose this isn't really something I have to think about.


Technically, you CAN get married...
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:31:56 PM EST (GMT-5)
I can't get married to the person I love, which is the same as not being able to get married, in my eyes.

And you knew that that was what I meant.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:38:14 PM EST (GMT-5)
I did.

I just find it rare that I can correct somebody for an incorrect use of a word so I had to do it...
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:56:21 PM EST (GMT-5)
I'd sign if the prenup wasn't my spouse's idea- - say his family forced him to. I wouldn't have a problem with that.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 5:19:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:38:14 PM CowDung wrote:
I did. I just find it rare that I can correct somebody for an incorrect use of a word so I had to do it...


I didn't use the word incorrectly.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 5:55:51 PM EST (GMT-5)
If it provided well for me, I'd be willing to do it.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 8:17:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:38:14 PM CowDung wrote:
I did. I just find it rare that I can correct somebody for an incorrect use of a word so I had to do it...
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 5:19:59 PM pepperdrinks wrote:
I didn't use the word incorrectly.


Actually, yeah.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 8:22:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 4:56:21 PM talkygurl13 wrote:
I'd sign if the prenup wasn't my spouse's idea- - say his family forced him to. I wouldn't have a problem with that.


It's not a prenup. It's a postnup. You're already married, then they decide they want to protect their assets from you. I'd assume my partner was splitting soon if they didn't care about a prenup but all of the sudden in the middle of our marriage they wanted some kind of financial assurance.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 9:06:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
I don't know...I would sign it. But feel totally untrusted. Idk. We have had our chunk of land in our family for 200 years and I would probably consider getting one of those papers...
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Tuesday 2/10/09 - 11:37:27 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 8:17:49 PM Evil_Smurf wrote:
Actually, yeah.


Actually, no.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Wednesday 2/11/09 - 9:07:34 AM EST (GMT-5)
If I agreed with the terms, yes. And it was what my spouse wanted and not, say, his parents' or whatever.

I would feel more secure knowing I would have a fixed asset to fall back on if we were to get divorced.
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Wednesday 2/11/09 - 9:12:25 AM EST (GMT-5)
This thread is hilarious, because 50% of you who will go into your marriage thinking it is based on trust and will last forever, will end up divorced. If you don't get over yourselves and sign the damn thing, you also risk alienating your potential kids, incurring financial difficulties, and have a complete falling out with your partner.

It's not about trust, it is about the fact that life sends you lemons when you least expect it.


And pepper, you did use the word incorrectly. *can* implies lack of ability. You are *able* to marry anyone, you just *won't* or *don't want to*
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Wednesday 2/11/09 - 2:54:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 8:17:49 PM Evil_Smurf wrote:
Actually, yeah.
On Tuesday 2/10/09 - 11:37:27 PM pepperdrinks wrote:
Actually, no.


Yes you did. From a technical standpoint, you can indeed get married. From a practical standpoint, you really can't...
13 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Wednesday 2/11/09 - 3:23:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 2/11/09 - 9:12:25 AM mynameismike wrote:
And pepper, you did use the word incorrectly. *can* implies lack of ability. You are *able* to marry anyone, you just *won't* or *don't want to*

Now you're wrong. She's not allowed to marry *anyone*. She's allowed to marry a man.

Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 31)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 What does your money do?

2 If you had a genetic disease, would you reproduce?

3 Should the clock have been shifted 6 hours when it was designed, so that dawn occurs at approximately 12:00 and each hour corresponds to an hour of daylight?

4 Do you live in a home that has been owned by your family for multiple generations?

5 Have you ever seen an Aurora?

6 Do people become more likeable once they`ve realized their faults?

7 Should Christians do yoga?

8 Does your favourite movie pass the Bechdel test?

9 Is it fair that this woman got away with purposefully miscarrying her two babies?

10 You're proving my point?

More Questions
 
Edit