First, while the Bible and Jesus say many important things about love and family, neither explicitly defines marriage as between one man and one woman. And second, as the examples above illustrate, no sensible modern person wants marriage - theirs or anyone else's - to look in its particulars anything like what the Bible describes. In a religious marriage, two people promise to take care of each other, profoundly, the way they believe God cares for them. Biblical literalists will disagree, but the Bible is a living document, powerful for more than 2,000 years because its truths speak to us even as we change through history. In that light, Scripture gives us no good reason why gays and lesbians should not be (civilly and religiously) married - and a number of excellent reasons why they should...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653 Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

713 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 13 years ago by KikiPeepers

Do you think Newsweek's assertion that the Bible possibly condones gay marriage has any substance?
First, while the Bible and Jesus say many important things about love and family, neither explicitly defines marriage as between one man and one woman. And second, as the examples above illustrate, no sensible modern person wants marriage - theirs or anyone else's - to look in its particulars anything like what the Bible describes. In a religious marriage, two people promise to take care of each other, profoundly, the way they believe God cares for them. Biblical literalists will disagree, but the Bible is a living document, powerful for more than 2,000 years because its truths speak to us even as we change through history. In that light, Scripture gives us no good reason why gays and lesbians should not be (civilly and religiously) married - and a number of excellent reasons why they should...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Bottom Last Post

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 4:23:14 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes.
I have to say, this week's Newsweek has been one of the most influential that I have read within the past year.

I agree very strongly with one of the article's quotes, "Most of us no longer heed Leviticus on haircuts or blood sacrifices. Why would we still accept its stance on homosexuality?"
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 4:33:07 AM EST (GMT-5)
I subscribe to Newsweek (and several others) and have not seen the magazine except at the newstand. Unfortunately due to our superb USPS it comes a month late. Go figure.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 9:49:10 AM EST (GMT-5)
no. the bible clearly CONDEMNS gay marriage
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 9:58:29 AM EST (GMT-5)
We are commanded to love our fellow man...
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 10:07:35 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 4:23:14 AM clashrocker wrote:
Yes. I have to say, this week's Newsweek has been one of the most influential that I have read within the past year. I agree very strongly with one of the article's quotes, "Most of us no longer heed Leviticus on haircuts or blood sacrifices. Why would we still accept its stance on homosexuality?"


then read Jude 7
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 10:56:23 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:49:10 AM juliewillard wrote:
no. the bible clearly CONDEMNS gay marriage

where? What verses?
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 12:09:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:49:10 AM juliewillard wrote:
no. the bible clearly CONDEMNS gay marriage
On Friday 12/12/08 - 10:56:23 AM Aegis999 wrote:
where? What verses?


Leviticus - Do not lie with another man as you would lie with a woman, as that is detestable in the eyes of the Lord.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 1:01:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
I want them to cite the verses where the bible says "if you lie with a man as you lie with a woman, then that's okay in the eyes of the lord." Until Newsweek does that, this argument has no substance. I don't believe much of what the bible says either, but the question isn't asking whether my assertions are spot on. It's asking if Newsweek's assertions are spot on. Since they cited no source as far as chapters and verses go, I'm gonna go ahead and say no.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 1:44:03 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think the question misconstrues the actual argument that the article is making; it’s not saying that the Bible condones gay marriage, but rather that the Biblical justification for condemning gay marriage should be reexamined in light of evolving “Christian” values. And that argument does hold water.

Not that it matters. The haphazard collection of nihilists and Pharisees who call themselves “traditional Christians” will dismiss the argument as revisionism, knowing full well that fire and brimstone "smite the sinner" rhetoric always fills more pews than the hippie talk about love, equality, and spiritual unity.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 5:14:34 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:49:10 AM juliewillard wrote:
no. the bible clearly CONDEMNS gay marriage

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 6:05:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
I dont believe in the bible or god...
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 6:13:38 PM EST (GMT-5)
I guess, but who cares? I don't think whether or not gays can marry should be based on the Bible in the first place.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 6:34:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:49:10 AM juliewillard wrote:
no. the bible clearly CONDEMNS gay marriage
On Friday 12/12/08 - 10:56:23 AM Aegis999 wrote:
where? What verses?
On Friday 12/12/08 - 12:09:24 PM KikiPeepers wrote:
Leviticus - Do not lie with another man as you would lie with a woman, as that is detestable in the eyes of the Lord.

It also says:
"But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you." (11.10)

and

"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (20:9)

I don't understand why some Christians enjoy picking and choosing what should be legal and illegal according to their Bible.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 8:46:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:58:29 AM CowDung wrote:
We are commanded to love our fellow man...

LOL
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 12/12/08 - 9:31:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:58:29 AM CowDung wrote:
We are commanded to love our fellow man...


Although I don't really belive in god or the bible. That is probably the best and most important thing said.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 12/13/08 - 1:14:29 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 12:09:24 PM KikiPeepers wrote:
Leviticus - Do not lie with another man as you would lie with a woman, as that is detestable in the eyes of the Lord.
On Friday 12/12/08 - 6:34:23 PM KnifeGoingIn wrote:
It also says: "But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you." (11.10) and "For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (20:9)


True. But the New Testament overrides all those laws. It makes each sin and each sinner the same. So if being gay is a sin, ok. But we're all sinners so they aren't any less moral than anyone else. I don't see where it says their marriage is ok though.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 12/13/08 - 1:24:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 12:09:24 PM KikiPeepers wrote:
Leviticus - Do not lie with another man as you would lie with a woman, as that is detestable in the eyes of the Lord.
On Friday 12/12/08 - 6:34:23 PM KnifeGoingIn wrote:
It also says: (stuff)
I don't understand why some Christians enjoy picking and choosing what should be legal and illegal according to their Bible.

Exactly. You can't rally around some verses but ignore others, especially that are in the SAME book. Leviticus is horribly outdated. If you're going to stick to one teaching from it, you'd better stick to ALL of it (or be unclean until evening).
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 12/13/08 - 1:29:27 PM EST (GMT-5)
You must have missed my post ... Christians don't go by the Old Testament. That's Jews.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 12/13/08 - 1:43:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
Christians most definitely go by both. Leviticus is always used in the debates over gay marriage/homosexuality, and I'm pretty sure that's Old Testament.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 12/13/08 - 3:26:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 9:49:10 AM juliewillard wrote:
no. the bible clearly CONDEMNS gay marriage

While I disagree with your personal conclusion on this matter, I think that is a reasonable interpretation of what the Bible says. However, the only part I actually have a problem with is the "clearly" part of this. The Bible is not particularly clear on this. Extremely knowledgeable Biblical scholars disagree as to exactly how clear and how condemning of homosexuality in general and gay marriage specifically the Bible is. I have some respect for, and can tolerate to some extent, humble positions objecting to homosexuality, but over-the-top positions assuming greater clarity than actually exists are very objectionable to me. I think they contribute to the overzealous attitudes some of my fellow Christians have against gays.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 12/13/08 - 7:20:56 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/12/08 - 12:09:24 PM KikiPeepers wrote:
The New Testament overrides all those laws. It makes each sin and each sinner the same. So if being gay is a sin, ok. But we're all sinners so they aren't any less moral than anyone else. I don't see where it says their marriage is ok though.

The article refers more to the condemnation of gay marriage by religious zealots more than the idea that it is "okay". There are gray areas.

Damn it, one of you guys needs to start hallucinating and having visions that God is talking to you. Then we could write another book for the Bible in which God condemns blind hatred for particular groups of people.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Sunday 12/14/08 - 4:40:46 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 12/13/08 - 1:14:29 PM KikiPeepers wrote:
True. But the New Testament overrides all those laws. It makes each sin and each sinner the same. So if being gay is a sin, ok. But we're all sinners so they aren't any less moral than anyone else. I don't see where it says their marriage is ok though.

I just don't get why, seeing as there's a New Testament, these things can just change. Did God come down and make little notes in the Old Testament and say he wanted them changed? I just don't get why some things can be seemingly edited, while others can't. Is it, perhaps, because times have changed?
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Sunday 12/14/08 - 2:18:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
^^I don't know if times changed, or what, but that's what Jesus was supposed to have been on the Earth for. He died for our sins, so we didn't have to. He gave us an example of how a person can live on Earth and do good things. He taught us not to judge, and not to believe that some sinners are 'worse' than others.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Sunday 12/14/08 - 2:22:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 12/13/08 - 7:20:56 PM clashrocker wrote:
Damn it, one of you guys needs to start hallucinating and having visions that God is talking to you. Then we could write another book for the Bible in which God condemns blind hatred for particular groups of people.


Yes, but nowadays people call that CRAZY. If anyone does that, they either get ridiculed or locked away. I wish it could happen, though.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Sunday 12/14/08 - 7:06:38 PM EST (GMT-5)
Kiki, you say that the Bible doesn't say gay marriage is okay. Is there a place that says homosexual marriage is not okay?
Just because something isn't there, doesn't mean it's because it's not allowed.



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 What does your money do?

2 If you had a genetic disease, would you reproduce?

3 Do you live in a home that has been owned by your family for multiple generations?

4 Do you ever leave your dog in your vehicle with the windows rolled down a bit?

5 How do you pronounce the word 'Italian'?

6 Have you ever won a radio competition?

7 Have you ever seen an Aurora?

8 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

9 Do people become more likeable once they`ve realized their faults?

10 Do you hate cigarettes?

More Questions
 
Edit