Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

859 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 13 years ago by MelLowStar

Does the fact that something is `unnatural` have anything to do with whether it is unethical?


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Bottom Last Post

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 10:53:52 AM EST (GMT-5)
No. Pretty much everything is unnatural.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 10:57:26 AM EST (GMT-5)
No. Chemotherapy is completely unnatural, but who would call it unethical?
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 6:09:56 PM EST (GMT-5)
Who judges what is and isn't natural / ethical?
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 6:22:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
The nature of something and the ethics are usually a personal preference.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 8:48:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yes it can have something to do with it. That doesnt mean that because its unnatural it must be unethical.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 8:52:29 PM EST (GMT-5)
The two are totally unrelated, although it doesnt' stop people from ranting about how things are unnatural like that actually means something.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 1/4/08 - 8:54:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
Well, let's look at it this way...

Monogamous relationships between homo sapiens are unnatural, but polygamous relationships between them are considered unethical in most parts of the world.

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 1/5/08 - 12:47:17 AM EST (GMT-5)
I think it's two different things.
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 1/5/08 - 1:41:20 AM EST (GMT-5)
To say that because something is unethical simply because it is unnatural is to say that anything not appearing in nature is unethical. That's a pretty hefty list.

But, given that ethics is completely a human invention...

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 1/5/08 - 12:26:20 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 1/4/2008 8:54:23 PM Yaezakura wrote:
Well, let's look at it this way... Monogamous relationships between homo sapiens are unnatural, but polygamous relationships between them are considered unethical in most parts of the world.

Actually thinking that it's unethical is more of a western trend. It's not terribly uncommon in many parts of the world. Though I do agree with your point.

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 1/5/08 - 5:09:34 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 1/4/2008 8:54:23 PM Yaezakura wrote:
Well, let's look at it this way... Monogamous relationships between homo sapiens are unnatural, but polygamous relationships between them are considered unethical in most parts of the world.

Actually monogamous relationships are natural, back in the time of the Cro-Magnon, relationships were monogamous so that the man of the family would be loyal to his family, and ensure it's survival

13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Monday 1/7/08 - 10:14:36 PM EST (GMT-5)
Me typing this to communicate with people I'll never meet is unnatural, but how is it unethical?
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 1/8/08 - 12:09:43 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 1/7/2008 10:14:37 PM heatherlw wrote:
Me typing this to communicate with people I'll never meet is unnatural, but how is it unethical?

Are you also looking for kiddie cinema for adult viewing at the same time?
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Monday 1/14/08 - 10:44:38 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-01-08 00:09:43.607 HaroldtheBat wrote:
On 1/7/2008 10:14:37 PM heatherlw wrote:
Me typing this to communicate with people I'll never meet is unnatural, but how is it unethical?
Are you also looking for kiddie cinema for adult viewing at the same time?


You're not trying to tell me that kiddie cinema for adult viewing is unnatural, are you? That's crossing a line
13 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Saturday 1/19/08 - 3:16:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-01-05 01:41:20.04 Oblivious wrote:
To say that because something is unethical simply because it is unnatural is to say that anything not appearing in nature is unethical...


..and it also implies that there is something "ethical" about what is natural.

I think the problem is that people often use "unnatural" to mean "abnormal", which irks me because the two words don't have the exact same meaning, and because the word "abnormal" can have different meanings - problematic, statistically rare, or both.
13 yrs ago - Saturday 6/14/08 - 6:59:01 PM EST (GMT-5)
dont think so, but they usually do get paired together



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 Do you find it easy to accept help when you need it?

2 Do you live in a home that has been owned by your family for multiple generations?

3 Are you a feminist?

4 Should athletes be required to stand for the National Anthem while playing for their national team?

5 Are mass shootings an acceptable by-product of the right to bear arms?

6 Do you believe in free will?

7 Did you purchase a gun during covid?

8 Should advocating self harm or suicide result in a permanent ban?

9 Is Michael Jordan the greatest sports star ever?

10 Do artists really contribute something valuable to society?

More Questions
 
Edit