Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

1,206 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 16 years ago by KikiPeepers

Do you think it`s appropriate for teachers to discuss their political beliefs in class?


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 3 4 Next (showing 1-25 of 92)

Bottom Last Post

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 3/3/06 - 10:51:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
as long as they are not 'teaching' their views, then who cares? Teachers are people also. Inless... they're red.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 3/3/06 - 10:54:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
To an extent.

I like it kept neutral though.

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 3/3/06 - 10:57:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
They shouldn't be restricted from discussing them, as long as they aren't trying to tell their students what to believe. Just keep it within reason.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 3/3/06 - 10:58:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, they have influence on the kids and shouldn't be using it to andvance their politcal beliefs.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 3/3/06 - 11:35:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, it is inappropriate
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Sunday 3/5/06 - 3:32:08 AM EST (GMT-5)
If it's a politics class, yes.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Sunday 3/5/06 - 4:11:38 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/5/2006 3:32:08 AM davejnick wrote:
If it's a politics class, yes.

Agreed. My government teacher in high school was skewed towards liberal views in class discussion and homework assignments. Worked out okay for me ;), but some of my conservative friends had a bunch of problems with that guy.

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:22:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
within reason and make sure you make it clear that thats your believe
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:34:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
If it's a political oriented subject, there's probably a place for the teacher to express a political opinion, but it's still kind of a bad thing--teachers should be as objective as possible during class time.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:34:54 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/5/2006 3:32:08 AM davejnick wrote:
If it's a politics class, yes.

Yes, although they shouldnt privledge their beliefs over the students

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:36:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/6/2006 5:34:55 PM Avant-garde wrote:
On 3/5/2006 3:32:08 AM davejnick wrote: If it's a politics class, yes. Yes, although they shouldnt privledge their beliefs over the students

Isn't that rather difficult in a teacher-student relationship (except maybe at the university level)?
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:39:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
It may be difficult but not impossible. The student should be made aware of the various options in politics and then the teachers views can be made.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:42:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/6/2006 5:39:47 PM Avant-garde wrote:
It may be difficult but not impossible. The student should be made aware of the various options in politics and then the teachers views can be made.

Wouldn't a teacher expressing their personal opinion be an 'endorsement' of a particular political stance? I don't see how it can be done objectively...

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:47:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
As long as the teacher makes it aware that they have a certain viewpoint which has resulted from a personal political stance, I cant see why he shouldnt encourage his students to develop their own opinions.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:50:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
How is that encouraging students to develop their own opinions? In every other situation, what the teacher presents in class is 'correct'. They are supposed to be the authority on the subject matter--a student that doesn't share the teacher's view on political issues most likely will assume that their position is incorrect because they view themselves as not as knowledgeable as the teacher...
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:50:51 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, if they're liberal.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 5:57:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
If that was the case I would assume the teacher was not doing their job properly. The teacher is the authority on details such as the structure of government. However, on political views he is entering a realm of the subjective where he has to make it particularly clear to his students that his opinion on this is his alone and their views are not 'incorrect'. Obviously his viewpoint with not be completely rejected by his students who may very well change their minds after the class, but as long as they have thought about their views rationally and not accepted his view in blind faith. Then i'd say he has done the best he can in difficult circumstances
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 6:00:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
Objectivity is a valid concern, but I think most teenagers are comfortable disaggreing with their teachers.

If they care enough.

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 6:02:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
As long as the teacher isn't trying to force his/her beliefs on the classroom, who cares?
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 11:02:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/6/2006 6:02:38 PM Songseeker1 wrote:
As long as the teacher isn't trying to force his/her beliefs on the classroom, who cares?

What is your definition of 'force his/her beliefs'? As I stated above, teachers are generally considered to be THE authority on pretty much any subject they speak about. Any opinions they share are bound to be taken as fact by thier students...
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 11:12:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
Depends on the level of the class (for example, it would rarely be appropriate in high school, but is often appropriate in college), and whether or not it is related to the subject matter. Frankly, I'd rather know what the professor's opinion is so that I know where they're coming from, what their bias is, etc.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 11:14:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
Depends on what sort of class it is, and to what extent they express their views.

On 3/6/2006 11:02:06 PM CowDung wrote:
Any opinions they share are bound to be taken as fact by thier students...

I think most people know the difference between something that's merely someone's idea and something that's a concrete fact.
I -and most other relatively aware high school students- am not a sheep: I don't automatically swallow every opinion a teacher expresses. I don't even 100% trust their "facts" if they sound skewed.

There is a difference between facts and opinions, and I can usually spot it.

On 3/6/2006 11:02:06 PM CowDung wrote:
What is your definition of 'force his/her beliefs'?...

If a teacher tells a student that they're "wrong" or grades them differently for having different opinions (i.e. a pro-life teacher who would give an F to a student who turns in a pro-choice research paper), they're forcing their ideas

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 11:14:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
....on others. It's something I've seen happen too many times.
16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 11:15:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
Only if they are conservatives

Ok, seriously, most of the time, no, if it is politics class, to an extent...

16 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Monday 3/6/06 - 11:15:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/6/2006 5:50:22 PM CowDung wrote:
They are supposed to be the authority on the subject matter--a student that doesn't share the teacher's view on political issues most likely will assume that their position is incorrect because they view themselves as not as knowledgeable as the teacher...

What level are you talking about? If you're talking about anything above high school, I disagree. If the professor does it correctly, no one should feel like their opinion or political position is "wrong."

I've been in politics classes with conservative professors and I've never felt like my position was "incorrect" because they disagreed with it. On the other hand, in many of my classes discussion is emphasized, so they have sort of already created an environment where different opinions are accepted and welcomed.


Prev 1 2 3 4 Next (showing 1-25 of 92)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 What does your money do?

2 Do you share your bed with someone else?

3 Which Oompa Loompas do you prefer?

4 Are mass shootings an acceptable by-product of the right to bear arms?

5 6รท2(1+2)

6 Have you ever eaten scrapple?

7 Is it fair that this woman got away with purposefully miscarrying her two babies?

8 Was your high school named after a person?

9 If the media posted a news article with the headline "POLL: 70% voters do not believe media honest and truthful", would you believe it to be true?

10 How long has it been since the last time you got a question approved: less or more than a week?

More Questions
 
Edit