Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

1,796 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 17 years ago by slappy

Is it possible to live a successful life with a great job without a high school diploma?


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 59)

Bottom Last Post

17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 6/29/05 - 6:29:40 PM EST (GMT-5)
I probably shouldnt say too much be I totally got the goverment fooled about my credentials.
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 7/1/05 - 6:00:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
success is happiness, you dont need a degree for that
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 7/1/05 - 6:34:01 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, it's possible. Anything and everything is possible.
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Friday 7/1/05 - 6:34:41 AM EST (GMT-5)
Of course it is.
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 7/6/05 - 12:15:54 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/1/2005 6:00:58 AM mus0 wrote:
success is happiness, you dont need a degree for that

i agree
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 7/6/05 - 12:31:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
Firstly, British people don't get deplomers (we get other stuff tho) so yeah, but also define sucess, you can to charity work which is good and if you do it well you are sucessful, so no!
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 7/6/05 - 12:31:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
Anyway, if you want to be rich, you marry a rich man!
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 7/6/05 - 12:34:32 PM EST (GMT-5)
Depends on what your definition of success is
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 7/6/05 - 5:02:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
Unless you win a lottery, I would hope not. From what I've seen so far of high school, someone has to do absolutely nothing in four years to not graduate. It would be ridiculous for uneducated and unmotivated people like that to get a lot of money.
17 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 7/6/05 - 5:06:58 PM EST (GMT-5)
Why would it be so ridiculus? It wasn't too many generations ago when members of my family would have to start full time jobs without getting high school level educations. They were successful enough to marry, raise families, enjoy their lives, etc.
17 yrs ago, 1 mos ago - Saturday 8/27/05 - 3:38:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/6/2005 5:02:07 PM symphonic wrote:
Unless you win a lottery, I would hope not. From what I've seen so far of high school, someone has to do absolutely nothing in four years to not graduate. It would be ridiculous for uneducated and unmotivated people like that to get a lot of money.


Really? I failed my senior year. Now I'm getting a company car, a $60,000 sign on bonus, and the company is paying for my technical training.

Not too bad for two months out with no diploma, wouldn't you say?

17 yrs ago - Sunday 9/18/05 - 10:50:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
Well, it's not impossible (what isn't?), but it's also not too likely. Better paying jobs statistically go to people with higher education. But then the idea of 'success' and 'good job' are relative, and everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes both.
17 yrs ago - Sunday 9/18/05 - 10:55:20 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/1/2005 6:00:58 AM mus0 wrote:
success is happiness, you dont need a degree for that

Definitely. So many people assume that success in life equals to lots of money. It really doesn't.

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:15:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, as long as you keep learning the life smarts side of things.
16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:18:41 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 8/27/2005 3:38:47 PM slappy wrote:
On Really? I failed my senior year. Now I'm getting a company car, a $60,000 sign on bonus, and the company is paying for my technical training. Not too bad for two months out with no diploma, wouldn't you say?

I hope it continues to work out for you--not having that diploma really limits your options should your current job go away someday...


16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:21:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
Some highly successful high school dropouts:

Dave Thomas (of Wendy's)
Peter Jennings
Quentin Tarantino
Demi Moore
Eminem

Those guys seem to be doing ok.

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:22:04 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 8/27/2005 3:38:47 PM slappy wrote:
On 7/6/2005 5:02:07 PM symphonic wrote: Unless you win a lottery, I would hope not. From what I've seen so far of high school, someone has to do absolutely nothing in four years to not graduate. It would be ridiculous for uneducated and unmotivated people like that to get a lot of money. Really? I failed my senior year. Now I'm getting a company car, a $60,000 sign on bonus, and the company is paying for my technical training. Not too bad for two months out with no diploma, wouldn't you say?

Unless you are dealing drugs, you are a f*cking liar.
16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:28:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 11/9/2005 4:21:34 PM buckdj wrote:
Some highly successful high school dropouts: Dave Thomas (of Wendy's) Peter Jennings Quentin Tarantino Demi Moore Eminem Those guys seem to be doing ok.

They are indeed, however they are very much the exceptions, not the rule. Nobody is saying that it cannot be done, just that it's very unlikely...

Dave Thomas started his own company--how many other dropouts are ambitious enough to do that? He also lived in a time where degrees weren't considered to be as important as they are today.

Peter Jennings entered his field when college degrees weren't as common as they are today. If someone were to apply to any of the news companies today without a diploma, they wouldn't stand a chance of getting work.

As far as the others go, the entertainment field is rather difficult for anyone to make it in--having a degree doesn't guarantee anything in that field...

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:29:45 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 11/9/2005 4:22:04 PM brett_weir wrote:
On 8/27/2005 3:38:47 PM slappy wrote: On 7/6/2005 5:02:07 PM symphonic wrote: Unless you win a lottery, I would hope not. From what I've seen so far of high school, someone has to do absolutely nothing in four years to not graduate. It would be ridiculous for uneducated and unmotivated people like that to get a lot of money. Really? I failed my senior year. Now I'm getting a company car, a $60,000 sign on bonus, and the company is paying for my technical training. Not too bad for two months out with no diploma, wouldn't you say? Unless you are dealing drugs, you are a f*cking liar.

...or his parents own the company.

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:47:40 PM EST (GMT-5)
Well seeing how the question asked "is it possible" rather than "is it common", you guys are really thinking too hard on this.
16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 4:50:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
...it is a rather slow day.
16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 5:03:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 11/9/2005 4:29:46 PM CowDung wrote:
...or his parents own the company.

Good point, although if it were my son, I would not invest that kind of money unless he had at least the ambition to graduate high shcool.

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 5:12:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 11/9/2005 4:47:40 PM buckdj wrote:
Well seeing how the question asked "is it possible" rather than "is it common", you guys are really thinking too hard on this.

I hate "is it possible" questions...

Anything's possible! Ugh.

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 5:13:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 11/9/2005 5:12:36 PM symphonic wrote:
On 11/9/2005 4:47:40 PM buckdj wrote: Well seeing how the question asked "is it possible" rather than "is it common", you guys are really thinking too hard on this. I hate "is it possible" questions... Anything's possible! Ugh.

Try touching your left elbow with your left hand.

16 yrs ago, 10 mos ago - Wednesday 11/9/05 - 5:17:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
Sure it's possible. Do I actually know anyone over 18 without a H.S. diploma/GED? No.

Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 59)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 Pixies or Sonic Youth?

2 What is the most times you`ve seen the same movie in a theatre: more or less than 5 times?

3 When the aliens come to rescue us from the pole shift on December 21st, will they only take world leaders and their families?

4 Do you have a NalgeneĀ® bottle?

5 Will you play a game of spades with me, please?

6 Would you live underground?

7 Which is harder, waking up in the morning or going to sleep at night?

8 If your young son wanted to wear girls` clothes, would you be willing to buy the clothes for him?

9 Do you live in a home that has been owned by your family for multiple generations?

10 As you grew older, have you become more liberal or conservative?

More Questions
 
Edit