A tear-free onion that should be tastier and healthier has been created by using genetic tinkering to turn off the enzyme that makes us cry.

The onions, which can be chopped without painful, stingy, weeping eyes, have been tested in the laboratory by New Zealand Crop & Food Research scientist Dr Colin Eady, with his collaborators in Japan.

"If the research progresses well, would like to see them become the household and industry norm within the next decade," says Dr Eady.
 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml;jsessionid=TK5GZ1LALZZ3PQFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/02/01/scionion101.xml Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST POPULAR PRIORITY
RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

1,732 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 11 years ago by KikiPeepers

Would you eat a genetically-modified onion that didn't make you cry when you cut it?
A tear-free onion that should be tastier and healthier has been created by using genetic tinkering to turn off the enzyme that makes us cry.

The onions, which can be chopped without painful, stingy, weeping eyes, have been tested in the laboratory by New Zealand Crop & Food Research scientist Dr Colin Eady, with his collaborators in Japan.

"If the research progresses well, would like to see them become the household and industry norm within the next decade," says Dr Eady.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ma...


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 27)

Bottom Last Post

11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 2/2/08 - 11:56:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
Hell yeah..that would be awesome..

but would it lose it's taste at all?
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:01:18 AM EST (GMT-5)
As long as it was the same price or cheaper than regular onions. They really don't usually bother me enough to pay more for it.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:06:09 AM EST (GMT-5)

Goodness, no. And I fear them.

These things make me wonder if it's best to flee a certain society (and ideally be rid of such things) or fight them and be irritated / stressed while doing it. It's one of the most difficult decisions I haven't yet made.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:24:19 AM EST (GMT-5)
Why don't they genetically modify humans so they don't cry when they cut onions? Leave the poor veges alone!
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:28:39 AM EST (GMT-5)
No it would worry me they didn't test it properly and I'd grow wings.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:30:29 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-02-03 00:28:39.45 michrich wrote:
No it would worry me they didn't test it properly and I'd grow wings.


Oh come on..growing wings would be f-cking awesome
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:50:40 AM EST (GMT-5)
I like the smell. Why take all the fun out of cooking?
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 12:59:14 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-02-03 00:06:09.7 greenandblue wrote:
Goodness, no. And I fear them. These things make me wonder if it's best to flee a certain society (and ideally be rid of such things) or fight them and be irritated / stressed while doing it. It's one of the most difficult decisions I haven't yet made.


Why? I don't see what's so bad about it...or why it puts up so many red flags for people....
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 1:05:35 AM EST (GMT-5)
I don't think so. I like them the way they are. If you keep them in the fridge, they're not as bad when you cut them.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 11:14:18 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-02-03 00:06:09.7 greenandblue wrote:
Goodness, no. And I fear them. These things make me wonder if it's best to flee a certain society (and ideally be rid of such things) or fight them and be irritated / stressed while doing it. It's one of the most difficult decisions I haven't yet made.


Just out of curiosity, why? I mean, for me this particular manifestation of GE seems like the epitome of a gluttonous self absorbed elitest society. But in principle I have nothing against GE, its just I think it'd be better worth our time and money to use GE to increase yields or convey disease resistance to crops.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 11:27:00 AM EST (GMT-5)
it would make me think that there is something wrong with the onion.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 2:01:57 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yeah it's not very natural, I wouldn't eat it. Onions never make me cry anyway, if you cut them right they won't
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 2/3/08 - 9:39:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
i don't care if they make me cry. some people are so sensitive.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Monday 2/4/08 - 3:39:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
Not by itself. Maybe in a salad or some kind of recipe.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Wednesday 2/20/08 - 10:13:44 AM EST (GMT-5)
Hell no. I would never eat anything that has been modified in a lab. In the end if the market was overflowing with modified foods I'd grow my own vegetables although I doubt that the Greek government would ever allow that.
11 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Wednesday 2/20/08 - 10:41:03 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-02-20 10:13:44.023 angeleyesgr wrote:
Hell no. I would never eat anything that has been modified in a lab. In the end if the market was overflowing with modified foods I'd grow my own vegetables although I doubt that the Greek government would ever allow that.


Any particular reason why you feel this way?
11 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 2/26/08 - 12:14:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-02-20 10:41:03.913 catchall wrote:
On 2008-02-20 10:13:44.023 angeleyesgr wrote:
Hell no. I would never eat anything that has been modified in a lab. In the end if the market was overflowing with modified foods I'd grow my own vegetables although I doubt that the Greek government would ever allow that.
Any particular reason why you feel this way?


Not really. I just don't trust any foods that were modified in a lab. Nature makes stuff in a certain way. We should try and leave somet hings alone and the way they were meant to be.
11 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 2/26/08 - 12:19:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, it'd weird me out. It's not that bad honestly. Chilling an onion can help, so can chewing gum.
11 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 2/26/08 - 12:21:31 PM EST (GMT-5)
No I don't really trust the sounds of that..
11 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 2/26/08 - 6:13:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 2008-02-26 12:14:10.73 angeleyesgr wrote:
On 2008-02-20 10:41:03.913 catchall wrote:
On 2008-02-20 10:13:44.023 angeleyesgr wrote:
Hell no. I would never eat anything that has been modified in a lab. In the end if the market was overflowing with modified foods I'd grow my own vegetables although I doubt that the Greek government would ever allow that.
Any particular reason why you feel this way?
Not really. I just don't trust any foods that were modified in a lab. Nature makes stuff in a certain way. We should try and leave somet hings alone and the way they were meant to be.


You do realize that almost everything you eat is the product of thousands of years of direct intervention on the part of humans, don't you?
11 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 2/26/08 - 7:45:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, but it is probably more expensive and quite pointless.

Its not that hard to get through a little crying.
11 yrs ago, 3 mos ago - Wednesday 4/23/08 - 11:22:18 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, I like to cook with all my senses and frankenfood kind of worries me.
11 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Wednesday 6/4/08 - 11:45:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
I would at least try it.
11 yrs ago, 1 mos ago - Thursday 7/17/08 - 8:41:29 PM EST (GMT-5)
we really need to stop f*cking with nature.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Friday 10/31/08 - 12:12:27 AM EST (GMT-5)
Probably not, I don't see the point in them. The sting goes away in less than a minute.

Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 27)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

2 Should transgender people use the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificates, or by what gender they most look like?

3 Have you ever gotten a small loan of a million dollars?

4 Have you ever been in a fist fight before?

5 Is Rock and Roll here to stay?

6 Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?

7 Do you think Donald Trump will become the president of the United States?

8 Is Squidward`s skin color blue or green?

9 Has anyone from youthink ever been on Jeopardy?

10 Are you a dedicated follower of fashion?

More Questions
Friends
Daily Moment of Joy
Personality Quizzes
Funny Videos
I-Am-Bored.com
Free IQ Test
The Impossible Quiz
Intelligence Test
Relationship Test
Doodie Cartoons
 
Edit