Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

7,496 hits 4.0 (1 vote) Share Favorite | Flag 5 years ago by jealousblues

Whats worse saying something is 'gay' or 'lame?'


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 44)

Bottom Last Post

5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 5:44:26 PM EST (GMT-5)
Gay.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:19:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
waiting for people to ask why lame is wrong.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:34:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:19:52 PM Flores wrote:
waiting for people to ask why lame is wrong.

Are *you* asking?
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:35:20 PM EST (GMT-5)
They're both annoying.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:36:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
it depends on the something.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 8:55:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:19:52 PM Flores wrote:
waiting for people to ask why lame is wrong.
I guess maybe it used to be the same word as the crippled variety used in a disparaging way, but I've never considered the two terms to be related.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 9:26:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:19:52 PM Flores wrote:
waiting for people to ask why lame is wrong.
On Saturday 2/18/12 - 7:34:46 PM IRLIteach wrote:
Are *you* asking?

nope, but it surprised me at first because it made me think for the first time why it could offend someone.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 9:41:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
Neither is objectionable
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/18/12 - 11:12:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
Saying something is gay is worse because its making fun of a personn sexuality.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 3:07:04 AM EST (GMT-5)
In slang terms, they mean the exact same thing. Neither is a "bad" thing to say. And yet, people are STILL finding buckets of sand in their vaginas over hearing teenagers using the word "gay" when they mean dumb.

WHAT'S THAT? "Dumb" used to refer to a person unable to speak? Well that's just straight up offensive!
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 5:30:45 AM EST (GMT-5)
People started using gay negatively after it was associated with homosexuality. So, the way that the word became negative AFTER the association is really unfortunate.

As for lame...
I rarely hear people associating it with its original meaning. It seems so far and disconnected from what the word used to mean. I know that when I say something is lame - I'm not associating it with a disability. IN FACT, for quite a bit of my life, I was somehow unaware of the original meaning. Also unfortunate...but it doesn't upset me more.

On the other hand, when people say "that's gay" - they're very aware of the group of people they're putting down with the word. Now we're getting far from the original meaning (happy) but the word is currently and commonly being used to refer to homosexuality. So, that's why it's annoying that people are using it negatively.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 9:32:55 AM EST (GMT-5)
gay is more obviously insulting people when you say it
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 9:58:51 AM EST (GMT-5)
it's difficult to decide...either make fun of homosexuals or handicapped people.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 1:47:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/19/12 - 3:07:04 AM HardRocks wrote:
WHAT'S THAT? "Dumb" used to refer to a person unable to speak? Well that's just straight up offensive!


The term "dumb" hasn't been used for as a label for people unable to speak for a long time - decades. I can't remember the last time I heard someone referred to as being deaf-and-dumb. It's now hearing and speech impaired.

Nor are mobility impaired people referred to as being lame. Usually, the term lame is used to refer to a temporary condition - "I fell down, and I'm going to be lame for a few weeks" or "The horse pulled a muscle and is lame".

Homosexual people are still referred to as gay people. (The term seems to have lost it's meaning of "happy or light-hearted".)

Thus, I think it is more offensive to call something "gay".
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 1:55:15 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 2/18/12 - 11:12:16 PM ladiesfirst9 wrote:
Saying something is gay is worse because its making fun of a personn sexuality.

5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 2:09:12 PM EST (GMT-5)
but making fun of a disability is fine?
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 2:28:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/19/12 - 1:47:50 PM Wanderer wrote:
The term "dumb" hasn't been used for as a label for people unable to speak for a long time..... snip snip.... Thus, I think it is more offensive to call something "gay".

Yeah, the word dumb doesn't mean that anymore because the meanings of words change over time. Same with lame. And gay is following the EXACT same route.

5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 4:26:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/19/12 - 1:47:50 PM Wanderer wrote:
The term "dumb" hasn't been used for as a label for people unable to speak for a long time - decades.


Yeah, because it became an insult and they had to create a term that was free of the negative connotations "dumb" had acquired.

Same thing happened to moron, idiot, imbecile, cretin, spastic and countless others and it's happening to now to retard. It's hard to find an intelligence based insult that wasn't once an actual medical term. In 100 years calling someone a retard will be just as acceptable as calling them an idiot is today.

Language changes, and words have multiple meanings. The use of the term gay as an insult originally was a slight on homosexuals, but its meaning quickly became divorced from actual homosexuality.

Getting upset over it is just silly and betrays a lack of pattern recognition.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/19/12 - 6:37:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
Why should we accept something just because it's happened many times before?
It's still unfortunate what has happened with several words in the past...
And right now the word HASNT fully changed meaning...so it IS STILL understandably offensive.

I mean, yeah, maybe someone shouldn't be rolling on the floor crying their guts out over it...
But annoyance and feeling offended is a normal reaction to it.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Monday 2/20/12 - 12:18:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/19/12 - 4:26:55 PM griffin_wf wrote:
Language changes, and words have multiple meanings. The use of the term gay as an insult originally was a slight on homosexuals, but its meaning quickly became divorced from actual homosexuality. Getting upset over it is just silly and betrays a lack of pattern recognition.


While this is true, and I made a similar argument myself, the term "gay" has not yet divorced itself from it's meaning of "homosexual" (specifically, male homosexual).

Until it has completely divorced itself from this meaning, it should not be used for something that is unpleasant or unimportant.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Monday 2/20/12 - 2:32:20 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Sunday 2/19/12 - 6:37:11 PM shakira2 wrote:
And right now the word HASNT fully changed meaning...so it IS STILL understandably offensive.

On Monday 2/20/12 - 12:18:52 PM Wanderer wrote:
While this is true, and I made a similar argument myself, the term "gay" has not yet divorced itself from it's meaning of "homosexual" (specifically, male homosexual).


That's why it should be used.

The more the term is used to describe something "unpleasant or unimportant" the more quickly it will be divorced from its meaning of "homosexual"

Refusing to use it and acting indignantly towards those who do will just keep it offensive and homophobic longer
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Monday 2/20/12 - 4:15:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
Gay is a male or female queersexual.

I'd rather see the gay community own the word gay than divorce it from homosexual.

Sorry griffin, you're wrong.
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Monday 2/20/12 - 4:16:09 PM EST (GMT-5)
kind of how we now own "Queer"

I'm "Genderqueer"

I'm also "queer" in general
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Monday 2/20/12 - 4:17:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
ITT arguments about who owns what sounds
5 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Monday 2/20/12 - 4:20:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
You probably don't understand KFL, it's ok, we'll just pretend you don't exist in this thread.

Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 44)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

2 Should transgender people use the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificates, or by what gender they most look like?

3 Have you ever gotten a small loan of a million dollars?

4 Have you ever been in a fist fight before?

5 Is Rock and Roll here to stay?

6 Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?

7 Do you think Donald Trump will become the president of the United States?

8 Is Squidward`s skin color blue or green?

9 Has anyone from youthink ever been on Jeopardy?

10 Are you a dedicated follower of fashion?

More Questions
Friends
Daily Moment of Joy
Personality Quizzes
Funny Videos
I-Am-Bored.com
Free IQ Test
The Impossible Quiz
Intelligence Test
Relationship Test
Doodie Cartoons
 
Edit