http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/24/members-of-congress-get-a_n_866387.html?fbwall Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

3,640 hits 1.0 (1 vote) Share Favorite | Flag 8 years ago by Raisinman

Does it make you angry to know that members of the Congress and Senate considerably outperform the stock market in their personal investments?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 33)

Bottom Last Post

8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 1:23:30 AM EST (GMT-5)
Bunch of f*cking crooks. "Too big to fail" is just another way of saying "we have too much invested in that company so lets use public funds to keep them alive".

Seriously. This needs to change. Why do we keep electing the same people (democrats and republicans) who clearly have put their own personal interests far ahead of the public's?
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:25:03 AM EST (GMT-5)
If you aren't outperforming the stock market in your personal investments, then you're either being lazy or you're doing something wrong.

Also, is it a surprise that the people we put in charge of running our country's finances are, in fact, good at finances?
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:42:10 AM EST (GMT-5)
So have I in the last 10 years, you have problem with that?

8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:52:05 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:25:03 AM skine wrote:
If you aren't outperforming the stock market in your personal investments, then you're either being lazy or you're doing something wrong. Also, is it a surprise that the people we put in charge of running our country's finances are, in fact, good at finances?

The average investor actually underperforms the market
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:09:55 AM EST (GMT-5)
And most people are either lazy or idiots.

Doubly so when it comes to finances.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:18:10 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:42:10 AM Thinkerbell wrote:
So have I in the last 10 years, you have problem with that?

Well then, as a successful investor, surely you see the potential advantage of knowing how public money is going to be spent before anybody else.

Come on, you really don't see a problem with representatives deciding which companies to give money to when they have a personal stake in those companies?
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:18:55 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:09:55 AM skine wrote:
And most people are either lazy or idiots. Doubly so when it comes to finances.

And our representatives are all a bunch of geniuses
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:20:48 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:09:55 AM skine wrote:
And most people are either lazy or idiots. Doubly so when it comes to finances.

I guess the financial woes in this country aren't a result of crooked politicians, it's because Americans are just lazy idiots.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:21:56 AM EST (GMT-5)
irresponsible banking, actually.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:34:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
Ah, do I love flamebait.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:57:40 AM EST (GMT-5)
Hemp.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 4:28:30 AM EST (GMT-5)
Rosa Parks is only popular because a teenager got pregnant.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 4:34:11 AM EST (GMT-5)
(Actually, I don't think that was good flamebait. Let's see...)

Abortion is okay because babies aren't really people.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 4:44:03 AM EST (GMT-5)
No because stocks do not concern me.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 1:38:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:34:58 AM skine wrote:
Ah, do I love flamebait.

I guess that's what you say when you have no response
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:09:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:21:56 AM imagination wrote:
irresponsible banking, actually.

Made possible by crooked politicians. But our sky-rocketing national debt and plummeting currency value is something the private sector has virtually no control over (except for the fact that we get to vote on who does the raping).
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:16:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
this question sometimes makes me believe that politicians are manipulating the stock market. taxpayer money is being wasted needlessly. the people have had enough.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:28:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:42:10 AM Thinkerbell wrote:
So have I in the last 10 years, you have problem with that?
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:18:10 AM Raisinman wrote:
Well then, as a successful investor, surely you see the potential advantage of knowing how public money is going to be spent before anybody else. Come on, you really don't see a problem with representatives deciding which companies to give money to when they have a personal stake in those companies?


Actually the stock market was so bad for the last decade that bonds did way better.

You are implying that significant insider trading of a type is going on. That may be the case, what would you suggest that all the powerful only have index funds so they have to do exactly as well as the market? problem solved.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:24:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
That would begin to address the problem, yes. Though I was thinking that law-makers should not be allowed to have a personal stake in private firms while they hold office. After all, the SP500 is only comprised of the 500 largest companies, and the Dow is only 30. Even if Congress and the Senate is limited to owning indices, they could still enact legislation and direct "earmarks" to benefit those large companies while making it harder for all other businesses to compete.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:28:38 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 2:25:03 AM skine wrote:
If you aren't outperforming the stock market in your personal investments, then you're either being lazy or you're doing something wrong. Also, is it a surprise that the people we put in charge of running our country's finances are, in fact, good at finances?


Kind of, considering the country's finances.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Thursday 6/23/11 - 7:18:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
Who the heck cares?
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 6/24/11 - 1:07:07 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:34:58 AM skine wrote:
Ah, do I love flamebait.
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 1:38:35 PM Raisinman wrote:
I guess that's what you say when you have no response

No, that's what I say when you intentionally misconstrue my comment, dismiss it sarcastically, and I can see no reason for your comment other than you looking for an argument.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 6/24/11 - 1:49:09 AM EST (GMT-5)
Not nearly as much as it pisses me off that almost every financial transaction you make will put money into the pockets of a man who had nothing to do with that transaction.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 6/24/11 - 3:10:13 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 3:34:58 AM skine wrote:
Ah, do I love flamebait.
On Wednesday 6/22/11 - 1:38:35 PM Raisinman wrote:
I guess that's what you say when you have no response
On Friday 6/24/11 - 1:07:07 AM skine wrote:
No, that's what I say when you intentionally misconstrue my comment, dismiss it sarcastically, and I can see no reason for your comment other than you looking for an argument.

I misconstrued? So what did you really mean when you said, "most people are either lazy or idiots"? And yes, I would like to argue against the idea that the average American investor is a lazy idiot while our political representatives are all financially adept without the need to use their clout to benefit their own portfolios.
8 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Friday 6/24/11 - 3:18:01 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 6/24/11 - 1:49:09 AM Kepi wrote:
Not nearly as much as it pisses me off that almost every financial transaction you make will put money into the pockets of a man who had nothing to do with that transaction.

Care to elaborate? Sounds like your talking about taxes in general.

Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 33)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

2 Should transgender people use the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificates, or by what gender they most look like?

3 Have you ever gotten a small loan of a million dollars?

4 Have you ever been in a fist fight before?

5 Is Rock and Roll here to stay?

6 Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?

7 Do you think Donald Trump will become the president of the United States?

8 Is Squidward`s skin color blue or green?

9 Has anyone from youthink ever been on Jeopardy?

10 Are you a dedicated follower of fashion?

More Questions
Friends
Daily Moment of Joy
Personality Quizzes
Funny Videos
I-Am-Bored.com
Free IQ Test
The Impossible Quiz
Intelligence Test
Relationship Test
Doodie Cartoons
 
Edit