Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

1,369 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 10 years ago by Kraken

Do you consider horse racing to be animal cruelty?


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 28)

Bottom Last Post

10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Tuesday 2/13/07 - 8:26:36 PM EST (GMT-5)
I say no, but that's mostly because I work in a call center and I know more about it than most. They typically only run horses once every 2 weeks, and the most once a week. They get plenty of rest afterwards and are very much taken care of.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Tuesday 2/13/07 - 8:26:57 PM EST (GMT-5)
*A call center where people call in and make horse racing bets.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Tuesday 2/13/07 - 8:33:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
Eh, I don't see it as really cruel, other than that they're doing it so people can gamble on them. But they did try to take good care of Barbaro and everything, I'm sure if the horses weren't in good condition they wouldn't be able to run as they do anyway.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Wednesday 2/14/07 - 9:12:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
Depends on what type of horse we are talking about? Most horses, not really. I know a lot about horses, and for some types of horses, then yes, it can cause injuries to the horse.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Wednesday 2/14/07 - 9:13:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think it is, especially since they kill a horse for getting injured and they race them to exhaustion.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Wednesday 2/14/07 - 10:24:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
When they are injured they kill them, from what I heard. So yes, it can be very cruel sometimes. The things people will do for money these days......
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Wednesday 2/14/07 - 10:44:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, racing them isn't cruelty because they like to run (same with greyhounds). It's what they do to them in training, and what's done after they stop winning that's cruelty.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Thursday 2/15/07 - 1:19:00 AM EST (GMT-5)
No, they love to run.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/17/07 - 11:12:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 2/14/2007 9:13:50 PM Aburame wrote:
I think it is, especially since they kill a horse for getting injured and they race them to exhaustion.

It's really for the best though, and it's not just racing horses that they'd kill. When one leg gets hurt on a horse, it puts a lot of pressure on the other legs, and they get injured. Since horses are so heavy, they can't fully support their other legs.

Doctors try very very hard to save the horses, but usually there's nothing they can do and they have no choice but to put the horse down. It's unfortunate, but it's better for the horse.

10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Saturday 2/17/07 - 11:58:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
It's not better for the horse at all, better would be leaving them the hell alone in the first place.
10 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Sunday 2/18/07 - 12:00:00 AM EST (GMT-5)
No, horses love to run and so do even some dogs.

I think it's what they do to condition the horses that might be a little bit mean, but I don't know too much about that.

10 yrs ago, 8 mos ago - Thursday 3/1/07 - 11:25:25 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, I do considering the fact that when a horse gets older and isn't capable to run any more in a race it gets slaughtered for its meat.
10 yrs ago, 8 mos ago - Thursday 3/1/07 - 11:30:12 AM EST (GMT-5)
No,not at all.My cousin breeds race horses and they are treated fine.The slaughtering if they injure a leg is probably for the best anyways since they would be going through so much pain and a horse's leg can't heal fully after it's broken.
10 yrs ago, 8 mos ago - Thursday 3/1/07 - 12:09:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
nah, in herds they run like mad, they love to run so why not?
10 yrs ago, 8 mos ago - Thursday 3/1/07 - 12:16:41 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, as many said they like to run and would be running in the wild anyhow.
10 yrs ago, 8 mos ago - Thursday 3/1/07 - 12:17:09 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 2/17/2007 11:58:00 PM Aburame wrote:
It's not better for the horse at all, better would be leaving them the hell alone in the first place.

Humans and horses have had a symbiotic relationship for thousands of years. The horses are well treated, well fed, loved by their owners. If a horse gets injured in the wild, it dies a slow painful death. I see no cruelty.

10 yrs ago, 7 mos ago - Sunday 4/1/07 - 10:44:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/1/2007 12:17:10 PM Isthiezak wrote:
On 2/17/2007 11:58:00 PM Aburame wrote: It's not better for the horse at all, better would be leaving them the hell alone in the first place.

Humans and horses have had a symbiotic relationship for thousands of years. The horses are well treated, well fed, loved by their owners. If a horse gets injured in the wild, it dies a slow painful death. I see no cruelty.

I agree with you completely on this.

10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Monday 5/7/07 - 11:09:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
cruel? absolutely not. In fact, I endorse it. There is nothing to help a horse be more healthy than a lifestlye that is both physically and mentally(/emotionally) stimulating and including exercise, good feed and bedding, and strong human relationships
10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Tuesday 5/8/07 - 12:44:38 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, I do. I am a lifetime horse OWNER and it is common knowledge that horses are NOT physically mature at two. Most two year olds I've been around are not mentally mature enough, either. I have a three year old filly who has yet to be started! This is because she has been very slow to mature physically and her knees have not yet closed. Yes, the race horses are taken care of while they are doing their job...BUT what becomes of the ones that don't go far? They usually end up at auctions being sold for near to nothing...and then we all know what happens to them. They end up with beginner horse owners that don't have the slightest clue what they are getting into with a "hotbred" horse, or the money to take care of them properly. Sometimes they end up with people who make them into nice Dressage horses, three day eventers, showjumpers, hunters, whatnot... And I have seen way too many documentaries that show horses with broken legs flopping about as they continue to run.
10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Tuesday 5/8/07 - 12:47:41 AM EST (GMT-5)
Look at what happened to poor Barbero. And I disagree with the thought that horses like to run. Not all do. The great racehorses do, they truly like to compete. But many horses are forced to race, just because they have the "running bloodlines" and their rich owners want to make more big bucks. I don't like it. When I look at my three year old and imagine there are other three year olds out there racing, I become very sad.
10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 5/18/07 - 6:23:23 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 2/17/2007 11:58:00 PM Aburame wrote:
It's not better for the horse at all, better would be leaving them the hell alone in the first place.

you are so right
10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 5/18/07 - 9:24:34 AM EST (GMT-5)
I don't think it's right for us to force animals to do unnatural things (before some moron insists that "Running is natural! Horses love running!", I'll say that I don't think pumping horses full of drugs and forcing them to run while in pain is "natural") for our own entertainment, no matter how "well-treated" you want to claim they are.
10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 5/18/07 - 9:41:11 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 3/1/2007 11:25:25 AM angeleyesgr wrote:
Yes, I do considering the fact that when a horse gets older and isn't capable to run any more in a race it gets slaughtered for its meat.

i consider it animal cruelty for the same reason, along with the fact that animals shouldn't be used for our entertainment. plus horses don't have a voice, who's to say they aren't enjoying this or who's to say they want to be pumped with drugs and forced to run just to make some rich bastard money.
10 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 5/20/07 - 2:12:15 AM EST (GMT-5)
And today another poor horse was euthanized, due to injuries from a race.

I used to want to go to the races. I thought it would be fun to get all dressed up in a cute dress and big fancy hat. But not anymore. I would totally fall apart if I saw a horse get hurt during a race. And I won't support the sport, either. So I think that the money I would have spent towards a race vacation, I shall donate to one of the organizations that adopts the discarded race horses.

10 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/14/07 - 1:50:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
no why do you think so?

Prev 1 2 Next (showing 1-25 of 28)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

2 Should transgender people use the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificates, or by what gender they most look like?

3 Have you ever gotten a small loan of a million dollars?

4 Have you ever been in a fist fight before?

5 Is Rock and Roll here to stay?

6 Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?

7 Do you think Donald Trump will become the president of the United States?

8 Is Squidward`s skin color blue or green?

9 Has anyone from youthink ever been on Jeopardy?

10 Are you a dedicated follower of fashion?

More Questions
Friends
Daily Moment of Joy
Personality Quizzes
Funny Videos
I-Am-Bored.com
Free IQ Test
The Impossible Quiz
Intelligence Test
Relationship Test
Doodie Cartoons
 
Edit