Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

592 hits Rate me! Share Favorite | Flag 14 years ago by Lynn_19

Can obsession be consciously controlled?


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Bottom Last Post

14 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 8/11/06 - 9:50:45 PM EST (GMT-5)
an obsession can't be controlled because it controls you.
14 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 8/12/06 - 1:07:26 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 8/11/2006 9:50:46 PM habeshabarbi wrote:
an obsession can't be controlled because it controls you.

Brilliant. Truly brilliant.

14 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 8/12/06 - 12:24:18 PM EST (GMT-5)
^ Agreed.
14 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Sunday 8/13/06 - 10:24:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, find your center and it will help ground you.
14 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 8/25/06 - 1:41:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
Well, it depends on how obsessive you are. People with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can learn to control it, I read that somewhere.
14 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 8/25/06 - 2:18:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
By definition, "obsession" CANNOT be controlled.
14 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Monday 9/4/06 - 11:48:40 AM EST (GMT-5)
No, that's why I stay obsessed with many things at once so it evens out
14 yrs ago, 5 mos ago - Tuesday 9/26/06 - 9:32:27 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 8/11/2006 9:50:46 PM habeshabarbi wrote:
an obsession can't be controlled because it controls you.

Exactly.
14 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Sunday 10/15/06 - 7:04:53 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, but with difficulty.
14 yrs ago - Sunday 2/4/07 - 7:16:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 8/11/2006 9:50:46 PM habeshabarbi wrote:
an obsession can't be controlled because it controls you.

psh. no it doesnt. i cntrol my obsessions. with great sucess i might add.
14 yrs ago - Monday 2/5/07 - 1:00:09 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes, but it is very hard to do so.
13 yrs ago, 11 mos ago - Friday 3/9/07 - 3:36:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 8/11/2006 9:50:46 PM habeshabarbi wrote:
an obsession can't be controlled because it controls you.

People keep agreeing with this like it's some kind of deep and thoughtful statement.

It's stupid.

13 yrs ago, 11 mos ago - Saturday 3/17/07 - 10:43:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
It depends, really. I have silly obsessions, like the Harry Potter books, and vampires, and certain movies, etc. Around certain people I go nuts, but I keep it all controlled when not with people who feel the same.
13 yrs ago, 9 mos ago - Friday 5/11/07 - 7:14:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
well, are we talking abotu compulsions here? Compulsions are a little more intricate. I think the beahviourist perspective would so yes, but in all honesty, it's take a hell of a lot of concious effort and energy.
13 yrs ago, 7 mos ago - Sunday 7/22/07 - 5:20:26 AM EST (GMT-5)
No, because if you focus on not obsessing about something, you're obsessing over it.
13 yrs ago, 7 mos ago - Monday 7/23/07 - 8:17:27 AM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/22/2007 5:20:27 AM Ailesh wrote:
No, because if you focus on not obsessing about something, you're obsessing over it.

You weak-minded petty humans.

Because obsessions can be anything this makes the question vague. If the obsession was an action it can be controlled consciously but if it was a compulsive thoughts it could not be controlled by the conscious.

Say your obsession was a gambling habit. Your logic follows as; No, because if you focus on not gambling something, you're thinking over (not gambling) it. Your argument becomes flawed because the habit is been controlled consciously as you are not gambling even though you are thinking about it.

13 yrs ago, 7 mos ago - Monday 7/23/07 - 8:42:23 AM EST (GMT-5)
However you argument becomes true when your obsession was about compulsive thoughts that preoccupies the mind during any task in the day. Say your compulsion was fear of thinking evil. Your logic would follows as; No, because if you focus on not thinking evil (onto) something, you're thinking over (not think evil onto) it. In which case your argument is true. Despite that what goes in the mind doesn’t cause a action.
So I repeat that if it is obsession was a compulsive habit it can be consciously controlled but if the obsession was compulsive thoughts it cannot be controlled consciously.




You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

2 Should transgender people use the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificates, or by what gender they most look like?

3 Have you ever gotten a small loan of a million dollars?

4 Have you ever been in a fist fight before?

5 Is Rock and Roll here to stay?

6 Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?

7 Do you think Donald Trump will become the president of the United States?

8 Is Squidward`s skin color blue or green?

9 Has anyone from youthink ever been on Jeopardy?

10 Are you a dedicated follower of fashion?

More Questions
Friends
Daily Moment of Joy
Personality Quizzes
Funny Videos
I-Am-Bored.com
Free IQ Test
The Impossible Quiz
Intelligence Test
Relationship Test
Doodie Cartoons
 
Edit