Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

2,007 hits 4.0 (1 vote) Share Favorite | Flag 11 years ago by Abzurd

Is mourning worse for an atheist?


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 61)

Bottom Last Post

11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 12:12:57 PM EST (GMT-5)
If there is no believe of an afterlife, I think the lost of a dear one is worst because it's final.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 12:14:56 PM EST (GMT-5)
We don't get to meet our maker.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 12:16:26 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/13/2006 12:12:58 PM abzurd wrote:
If there is no believe of an afterlife, I think the lost of a dear one is worst because it's final.

Exactly, which is why Im thankful for my faith. I couldnt imagine being in their position.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 12:16:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/13/2006 12:15:42 PM ladybughater wrote:
^Exactly which is why I am thankful for my faith. I couldn't imagine being in their position.

It's not that hard....they're gone. It's not that bad, because at some point so will I and I won't feel anything.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 12:18:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
i think we just deal with it differently.No disrespect but I think a lot of theists get confused by thinking that atheists sit around all day wishing we could be theists but it really isn't like that.

When my dad died I was happy that he was at peace and felt that he had accomplished all he had ever tried. He was in his 'heaven' in the last moments. I don't need to convince myself that we'll run into each other's arms when I die any more than theists try to learn to deal with never seeing their loved ones again.

11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 12:20:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/13/2006 12:16:55 PM IanBrown_101 wrote:
On 7/13/2006 12:15:42 PM ladybughater wrote: ^Exactly which is why I am thankful for my faith. I couldn't imagine being in their position. It's not that hard....they're gone. It's not that bad, because at some point so will I and I won't feel anything.

You disagreed with me!!!
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 4:31:26 PM EST (GMT-5)
What would an athiest have to mourn about? If atheists are correct, then we all fade into nothing after we die. Then again, if atheists are wrong and there is a god, they will be sent to the bad place... so I guess that's something to mourn about. In conclusion, an atheist who does not have a strong atheistic belief may mourn more than one who is 100% sure of their choice in anti-faith.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 4:32:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
Not really... when someone loses someelse it will hurt no matter is you have a relgion or not
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/13/06 - 4:35:26 PM EST (GMT-5)
without hope of a resurrection or some other afterlife, it probably is harder.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 12:00:41 PM EST (GMT-5)
I'm asking because I'm agnostic and I don't cope very well with the loss of friends and family. And I had a lot.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 12:02:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
i would say you need to learm to cope without an afterlife. Think that the person was a good person or accomplished everything they ever wanted or something. I'm sure in the future it will be a lot more common.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 12:04:13 PM EST (GMT-5)
also note theists don't cope all that well either; it depends on the individual. At least atheists don't spend decades wondering why god took their friend away for no good reason.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 6:24:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
Of course its worse for atheist, cause Jehovah promised a resurrection, but they don't believe in him so I guess they don't expect to see their dead loved ones again.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 6:27:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
For me I felt pretty terrible when a friend of mine died, and I felt terrible because of how my Atheism afforded me no consolation or closure. Those who believe in the afterlife definately have an advatnage, because they can believe that those who died are literally in a better place, and that it isn't the final end.


One of my friends is a devout Korean Christian and he told me that it took him a few weeks to get over his grandparents' death, and even though he loved them it was better because he said they were now in heaven. That kind of closure is priceless.

For me, when I think about people dying before their time, I can never accept it or find closure, because that's it, they will never get to do what a person should in their lifetime, it tears me apart. But it only makes Atheism a bit bleaker, it doesn't make Christianity seem like any better an alternative.

11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 7:34:31 PM EST (GMT-5)
I agree with Aburame. Atheism is bleak and it is incredibly painful when someone dies, the idea that you will never see them again. But you learn to cope, you have to.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 11:44:15 PM EST (GMT-5)
I don't think I'd mourn any more or less for someone depending on their beliefs. All I know is that, regardless of their religion, I know that I'll never see them again in this lifetime. That's depressing enough for me.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Saturday 7/15/06 - 11:45:01 PM EST (GMT-5)
By the way, I think the question could've been a little more clear. I'm left wondering whether you're talking about Atheists mourning, or if you're talking about mourning Atheists.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Sunday 7/16/06 - 7:31:58 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/15/2006 11:45:02 PM Jesse wrote:
By the way, I think the question could've been a little more clear. I'm left wondering whether you're talking about Atheists mourning, or if you're talking about mourning Atheists.

atheists mourning. Sorry, English isn't my main language.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Sunday 7/16/06 - 7:32:41 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/15/2006 6:27:34 PM Aburame wrote:
For me I felt pretty terrible when a friend of mine died, and I felt terrible because of how my Atheism afforded me no consolation or closure. Those who believe in the afterlife definately have an advatnage, because they can believe that those who died are literally in a better place, and that it isn't the final end. One of my friends is a devout Korean Christian and he told me that it took him a few weeks to get over his grandparents' death, and even though he loved them it was better because he said they were now in heaven. That kind of closure is priceless. For me, when I think about people dying before their time, I can never accept it or find closure, because that's it, they will never get to do what a person should in their lifetime, it tears me apart. But it only makes Atheism a bit bleaker, it doesn't make Christianity seem like any better an alternative.

that is exactly how I feel.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Sunday 7/16/06 - 7:40:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
I imagine it would!
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Sunday 7/16/06 - 7:40:43 PM EST (GMT-5)
On 7/13/2006 12:20:08 PM ladybughater wrote:
On 7/13/2006 12:16:55 PM IanBrown_101 wrote: On 7/13/2006 12:15:42 PM ladybughater wrote: ^Exactly which is why I am thankful for my faith. I couldn't imagine being in their position. It's not that hard....they're gone. It's not that bad, because at some point so will I and I won't feel anything. You disagreed with me!!!

But we disagree with him. What goes around comes around.
I do think it's harder, in a lot of respects. Also, I think that Atheists who don't want to have any kind of service when they die make it really hard on those they leave behind. There is no way to lament, share or grieve their loss properly.

11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/20/06 - 9:14:06 AM EST (GMT-5)
I think someone of faith, especially someone who believes in Hell, would take it harder. It would hurt enough knowing the person is gone-- but knowing the possibilty that they are burning in Hell forever would make it worse.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/20/06 - 9:20:32 AM EST (GMT-5)
It depends on whether your a morning or night person surely.
11 yrs ago, 4 mos ago - Thursday 7/20/06 - 2:34:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
Why can't we just celebrate the life
11 yrs ago, 2 mos ago - Saturday 8/26/06 - 2:04:36 PM EST (GMT-5)
How would the after life be any comfort? It isn't like you get to see them anymore. They're gone. The bible doesn't make any sence.

Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 61)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 If a defendant is found `not guilty`, do you assume that they are innocent?

2 Should transgender people use the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificates, or by what gender they most look like?

3 Have you ever gotten a small loan of a million dollars?

4 Have you ever been in a fist fight before?

5 Is Rock and Roll here to stay?

6 Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?

7 Do you think Donald Trump will become the president of the United States?

8 Is Squidward`s skin color blue or green?

9 Has anyone from youthink ever been on Jeopardy?

10 Are you a dedicated follower of fashion?

More Questions
Friends
Daily Moment of Joy
Personality Quizzes
Funny Videos
I-Am-Bored.com
Free IQ Test
The Impossible Quiz
Intelligence Test
Relationship Test
Doodie Cartoons
 
Edit