I don`t like``there but for the grace of God go I``, because in assuming grace for yourself, you`re inadvertently saying that the other person did not receive any of God`s... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Expressions you don't like

Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 60)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:41:03 PM EST (GMT-5)
I don't like"there but for the grace of God go I", because in assuming grace for yourself, you're inadvertently saying that the other person did not receive any of God's grace.

I don't care for "he's got his work cut out for him", because it literally makes no sense. If it's cut out for you, that's one less step.

And I don't like, "she's the cat's mother" because there's no equivalent"he's the cat's father".
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:51:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
I didn't realize that grace was only allowed to be received by one person...

I never heard the 'cat's mother' one...

1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:54:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
When someone says this:
Curiosity killed the cat
I got this:
Satisfaction brought it back


FIGHT ME
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:55:34 PM EST (GMT-5)
Curiosity Killed the Cat. Means: being too curious may bring about problems for you. Example of use: “Hey, I wonder what's down that street; it looks awfully dark and creepy.” Answer: “Let's not try to find out. Curiosity killed the cat.”Aug 20, 2014
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:56:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
"Curiosity killed the cat" is a proverb used to warn of the dangers of unnecessary investigation or experimentation. The original form of the proverb, now little used, was "Care killed the cat". In this instance, "care" was defined as "worry" or "sorrow for others
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 1:02:58 PM EST (GMT-5)
But the second part - - "satisfaction brought it back" - - shows that the risk might be worth it. Not many English speakers know that in the original idiom the cat survives. But now you do! In the end, the way most Americans use the idiom is as a warning and they simply say "curiosity killed the cat
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 1:22:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:51:30 PM CowDung wrote:
I didn't realize that grace was only allowed to be received by one person... I never heard the 'cat's mother' one...


That’s how the phrase is used though.

Like if someone is struggling or making bad choices you say that only because of God’s grace are you not in the same situation.

My mom likes to use that one.
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 2:19:45 PM EST (GMT-5)
Dear Evan Hansen
We've been way too out of touch
Things have been crazy
And it sucks that we don't talk that much
But I should tell you that I think of you each night
I rub my nipples and start moaning with delight
Why would you write that?
I'm just trying to tell the truth
This needs to be perfect these emails have to prove that we were actually friends
Just I'll do it
I've gotta tell you, life without you has been hard (Hard?)
Has been bad (Bad?)
Has been rough (Kinky!)
And I miss talking about life and other stuff
Very specific Shut up!
I like my parents
Who says that?
I love my parents but each day's another fight
If I stop smoking drugs
Then everything might be alright
Smoking drugs? (Just fix it!)
If I stop smoking crack (Crack?!)
If I stop smoking pot
Then everything might be alright
I'll take your advice
I'll try to be mo
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 2:36:09 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 2/12/20 - 12:51:30 PM CowDung wrote:
I didn't realize that grace was only allowed to be received by one person... I never heard the 'cat's mother' one...
On Wednesday 2/12/20 - 1:22:10 PM amaqdrinker wrote:
That’s how the phrase is used though. Like if someone is struggling or making bad choices you say that only because of God’s grace are you not in the same situation. My mom likes to use that one.


Fair point, I suppose, but maybe the other poor bastard really was denied Grace.
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 2:44:42 PM EST (GMT-5)
I believe in predestination, so...
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 4:43:08 PM EST (GMT-5)
“Boys will be boys”

The stick and stones thing


1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 5:34:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
I've always hated "out of sight, out of mind", but I use it, too.
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 7:34:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
"I see what you're saying"

Really? Is it coming in black and white or color?
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 7:40:02 PM EST (GMT-5)
"Every day and twice on Sunday"
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 8:09:43 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 2/12/20 - 7:40:02 PM postallbear wrote:
"Every day and twice on Sunday"


I use that one fairly often- - pretty much every day and twice on Sunday...
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 8:11:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
I see what you're saying.
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 8:12:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
'There are starving children in India/China'.

I never could figure out how me not finishing all my food as a kid would affect those starving kids on the other side of the world...
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 9:12:27 PM EST (GMT-5)
I’ve always took it as to be grateful for what you have to eat. But I don’t like the guilt.
1 month ago - Wednesday 2/12/20 - 9:16:53 PM EST (GMT-5)

1 month ago - Thursday 2/13/20 - 12:17:11 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 2/12/20 - 2:44:42 PM amaqdrinker wrote:
I believe in predestination, so...


By the way this is not a way of gloating about godliness.

It very much erases the concept of salvation by works.

You have nothing to do with winning God’s favor or earning your salvation.

Grace > Works
1 month ago - Thursday 2/13/20 - 12:30:34 AM EST (GMT-5)
Can you please explain more about someone pious their whole life who devotes himself to God and asks for salvation. Takes Jesus into his heart and carries him there. But he's not predestined for grace so he winds up in hell?

I've never understood predestination as a concept and since you came back in to expound your thinking, perhaps you could clarify.?
1 month ago - Thursday 2/13/20 - 12:41:29 AM EST (GMT-5)
People don’t lead lives like that if they are not chosen beforehand. That person absolutely welcomed Jesus into their hearts and that is due to the will of God.

There are people who never will though and will never have any desire to.

I’m not saying all evangelizing is for nought. You should share the good news. But not everyone has ears to hear.

It’s not about pulling the rug out from underneath someone. I’m not wondering about my salvation. But I wonder about sacrificing too much by thinking that I have any ability to change the heart of someone who’s heart God has chosen to harden.
1 month ago - Thursday 2/13/20 - 1:20:22 AM EST (GMT-5)
Having Jesus in your heart is an act of God’s grace. There isn’t man’s grace or woman’s grace. Grace is something that God bestows. Love is played out pop culturally. Grace is a direct connection of God’s will towards man.
1 month ago - Thursday 2/13/20 - 4:48:46 AM EST (GMT-5)
'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'
annoys me because i've only ever heard it associated with something bad.
And if they're using it in a negative way they're essentially saying something bad about the individuals families aswell as the individual.
1 month ago - Thursday 2/13/20 - 7:27:55 AM EST (GMT-5)
Seems so nihilistic and defeatist. What is the point of anything.

Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 60)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit