[link] Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Low-wage work is more pervasive than you think, and there aren’t enough “good jobs” to go around

Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 59)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

20 days ago - Wednesday 1/29/20 - 9:36:56 AM EST (GMT-5)
20 days ago - Wednesday 1/29/20 - 9:38:52 AM EST (GMT-5)
53 million Americans between the ages of 18 to 64—accounting for 44% of all workers—qualify as “low-wage.” Their median hourly wages are $10.22, and median annual earnings are about $18,000.

18 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 3:22:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
Looks like seeking higher education education might help...

"...over half of low-wage workers have levels of education suggesting they will stay low-wage workers. This includes 20 million workers ages 25-64 with a high school diploma or less, and another seven million young adults 18-24 who are not in school and do not have a college degree."

18 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 3:27:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
I disagree with this:

"Education on its own cannot solve this problem. Imagine that all working-age adults had bachelor’s degrees—the jobs paying low wages would not disappear, nor would wages automatically increase."

I think if more people have higher education levels and leave these low level, low paying jobs, there would be more demand for people to do those jobs and wages will increase. I think that the ample supply of people able and willing to do those jobs is what keeps wages low.

18 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 3:29:20 PM EST (GMT-5)
When I was making $8.20 an hour vs a $6.75 minimum wage and they suddenly raised the minimum wage to $8.00 that was unfair.

We should eliminate the minimum wage and give tax breaks to companies that offer more wage incrases.
18 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 3:34:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
In college, I was working an hourly job, making above minimum wage when they had a minimum wage increase- - I got an increase as well. I don't recall the specific hourly figures, but I was making more than minimum before the min wage increase, and was making more than minimum wage after- - it didn't seem unfair.

18 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 3:46:09 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 1/31/20 - 3:34:00 PM CowDung wrote:
In college, I was working an hourly job, making above minimum wage when they had a minimum wage increase- - I got an increase as well. I don't recall the specific hourly figures, but I was making more than minimum before the min wage increase, and was making more than minimum wage after- - it didn't seem unfair.

I never got that increase.
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 5:15:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 1/31/20 - 3:27:44 PM CowDung wrote:
I disagree with this: "Education on its own cannot solve this problem. Imagine that all working-age adults had bachelor’s degrees—the jobs paying low wages would not disappear, nor would wages automatically increase." I think if more people have higher education levels and leave these low level, low paying jobs, there would be more demand for people to do those jobs and wages will increase. I think that the ample supply of people able and willing to do those jobs is what keeps wages low.

So what will happen to the higher level jobs as the supply of so-called skilled labor increases?
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 5:29:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 1/31/20 - 5:15:50 PM Spoonerism wrote:
So what will happen to the higher level jobs as the supply of so-called skilled labor increases?


A lot of it depends on how many jobs are going unfilled currently for those positions because employers can't find enough qualified candidates. There's currently a lot bigger pool of unskilled/low educated workers than there are skilled/highly educated workers.

If we do get to where there's a surplus of educated people to fill all the jobs, there's a lot more room for what are currently the higher wages to flatten or perhaps even decrease without pushing people into poverty.
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 5:36:40 PM EST (GMT-5)
It's also not just a matter of having a degree, it's a matter of having a degree in an area in demand for employers. A lot of people take offense at the idea that their Bachelor's degree in 'Womens studies' or 'Philosophy' qualifies them for flipping burgers at McDonalds, but the reality is that the economic sectors growing the fastest are technology and healthcare. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that degrees related to those fields will help provide people with the best chance at getting good paying jobs in the future.
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 5:45:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
STEM is overrated. Liberal arts and social sciences like econ and poli sci are valued because they are much better than the STEM losers who are basically robots.
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 5:46:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
They have e critical thinking skills
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 7:45:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
If there was a glut of doctors on the market, the salaries for doctors would decrease. More supply equals less demand which equals lower salaries. The cost of healthcare would also drop. (However, before you get your hopes up, there will never be a glut of doctors on the market because it’s incredibly difficult to become a doctor.)
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 7:51:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 1/29/20 - 9:38:52 AM Spoonerism wrote:
53 million Americans between the ages of 18 to 64—accounting for 44% of all workers—qualify as “low-wage” ...

Why do they include 18 to 24 year olds? They’re too young to have a college degree or too young to have enough experience in a trade to make anything other than a low wage. It’s like including everyone under 18 in your poll and claiming a high unemployment number.
17 days ago - Friday 1/31/20 - 11:29:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 1/31/20 - 5:46:05 PM DARFO wrote:
They have e critical thinking skills


Great- - if there's ever an employer advertising for employees with critical thinking skills, they can apply...
17 days ago - Saturday 2/1/20 - 12:36:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 1/31/20 - 3:22:30 PM CowDung wrote:
Looks like seeking higher education education might help... "...over half of low-wage workers have levels of education suggesting they will stay low-wage workers. This includes 20 million workers ages 25-64 with a high school diploma or less, and another seven million young adults 18-24 who are not in school and do not have a college degree."


The schools are in bed with the corporations though. Sorry. But there aren’t more higher paying jobs just because more people are educated.
17 days ago - Saturday 2/1/20 - 12:39:30 AM EST (GMT-5)
Says the guy doing the work of three people in a slightly elevated tech role..,
17 days ago - Saturday 2/1/20 - 9:43:37 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 1/31/20 - 5:45:48 PM DARFO wrote:
STEM is overrated. Liberal arts and social sciences like econ and poli sci are valued because they are much better than the STEM losers who are basically robots.


STEM is the way of the future, unfortunately. while you do need liberal arts and social sciences it won't probably amount to the importance of STEM since lots of jobs are about to go the automation route.
16 days ago - Sunday 2/2/20 - 12:18:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
People who devalue humanities and arts are scary. They are the heart of humanity. Without them, we're all CowDung.
15 days ago - Monday 2/3/20 - 12:03:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
Boo.

I'm so scary...

15 days ago - Monday 2/3/20 - 12:15:53 AM EST (GMT-5)
...and it's not a discussion of me 'devaluing the arts', it's pointing out the fact that the largest employment growth area is in the STEM jobs..
15 days ago - Monday 2/3/20 - 12:59:01 AM EST (GMT-5)

15 days ago - Monday 2/3/20 - 1:39:53 AM EST (GMT-5)
I don’t think anyone is saying that artists are drains on society or unworthy of life. It’s just that there’s a huge supply of talented people out there and not enough jobs in the entertainment field for all of them. If you’re good and you have confidence in yourself, stick with it, and you might be able to make a living at it. Otherwise, consider another career.
15 days ago - Monday 2/3/20 - 6:49:12 AM EST (GMT-5)
I wonder if Noldor thinks that having a shortage of opinions makes them more valuable. After all his are positively antique.
15 days ago - Monday 2/3/20 - 9:38:17 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Monday 2/3/20 - 12:59:01 AM Spoonerism wrote:
[image]


Tbh, I'd love to live where music wasn't in bars, restaurants, sporting events, stores, etc...

Prev 1 2 3 Next (showing 1-25 of 59)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit