``An officer on Monday shot an armed 17-year-old student at a high school classroom in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha, Wisconsin, police said. The suspect, who police said pointed a... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Officer shoots Wisconsin student in classroom

Prev 1 2 3 4 Next (showing 1-25 of 90)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

6 days ago - Monday 12/2/19 - 9:07:57 PM EST (GMT-5)
"An officer on Monday shot an armed 17-year-old student at a high school classroom in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha, Wisconsin, police said.
The suspect, who police said pointed a handgun at officers, is in stable condition, Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack told reporters.
There were no other injuries in the morning incident at Waukesha South High School.
A school resource officer had rushed to a classroom after a student saw a classmate with a handgun, authorities said."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/02/us/w...
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 12:04:36 PM EST (GMT-5)
is that near you? hope everyone is okay.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 12:18:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
A 17-year-old cannot legally purchase a handgun, so there should be a lot of scrutiny about where this kid managed to get one. Did his parents leave theirs unlocked? Was it stolen from some other person who irresponsibly left their handgun unsecured? Was it straw purchased? Did he buy it from someone who was not a licensed dealer, and could therefore bypass the federal background check system?
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 12:38:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 12:04:36 PM Inquizitor2 wrote:
is that near you? hope everyone is okay.


Thanks, everyone is OK- - it's actually 30 or so miles away from where my kids are in school.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 12:56:14 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 12:18:52 PM birdsong4j wrote:
A 17-year-old cannot legally purchase a handgun, so there should be a lot of scrutiny about where this kid managed to get one. Did his parents leave theirs unlocked? Was it stolen from some other person who irresponsibly left their handgun unsecured? Was it straw purchased? Did he buy it from someone who was not a licensed dealer, and could therefore bypass the federal background check system?


Be sure to lead that investigation, Bird. I'm sure the police are totally ignoring that aspect of the situation...
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:04:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
Where did I say the police were probably ignoring that aspect of the situation? I'm just pointing out the ways a 17-year-old could've gotten a handgun - all of which happen to have a corresponding law that would address them, so that at least someone could be held legally responsible for his actions, and at most he would've been prevented from having it to start with.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:08:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
OK, so your saying that gun laws don't really prevent these types of situations?
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:09:15 PM EST (GMT-5)
Not sure what your point actually is...
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:12:06 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:08:52 PM CowDung wrote:
OK, so your saying that gun laws don't really prevent these types of situations?

No. I'm pointing out that there are proposed laws that could address every one of the possibilities I named - but certain people refuse to pass even those common-sense gun laws because they get too much money from the NRA and idiots.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:13:04 PM EST (GMT-5)
If we had actual common-sense gun laws, the likelihood that this kid would've been shot would decrease, because the likelihood that he would've had the gun at all would decrease.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:13:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
So you think it's legal for the 17 year old to possess the handgun in school?
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:15:05 PM EST (GMT-5)
Nope. But I think it's extraordinarily easy for a 17-year-old to get his hands on a gun, compared to how difficult we could make it by enacting laws that would have extremely minimal impact on your regular, law-abiding gun owner.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:24:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think those laws would have extremely minimal impact on a 17 year old's ability to acquire a handgun.

"Did his parents leave theirs unlocked?
Was it stolen from some other person who irresponsibly left their handgun unsecured?
Was it straw purchased?
Did he buy it from someone who was not a licensed dealer, and could therefore bypass the federal background check system?"
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:26:47 PM EST (GMT-5)
You'd be wrong. The laws addressing the things listed would put at least one more "checkpoint" between the kid and the gun, the responsibility for which would fall on one or more *adults*, rather than relying on a 17-year-old following the honor system.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:28:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
No deaths. That’s a relief.

Probably a few kids and staff in shock.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:32:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:26:47 PM birdsong4j wrote:
You'd be wrong. The laws addressing the things listed would put at least one more "checkpoint" between the kid and the gun, the responsibility for which would fall on one or more *adults*, rather than relying on a 17-year-old following the honor system.


Which of those things listed are currently legal and would be a 'checkpoint' under a new law?

6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:33:48 PM EST (GMT-5)
I'll start from the bottom and work my way up:

1. Require all private sales/transfers to go through an FFL, which would require a background check. This is commonly referred to as "closing the gun show loophole".
2. Registration of all guns, which would prevent anyone but the buyer from registering a weapon. This essentially ends straw purchases. It also provides a name for someone who is legally responsible for the security of that weapon, which leads to my next two points
3. All gun owners are required to report lost or stolen weapons to the police as soon as they're aware of the situation.
4. Anyone with minor children in their home must keep guns under lock and key. If they don't, and a child gets their hands on the weapon, the parent is legally responsible for what they do with it.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:34:28 PM EST (GMT-5)
What happened to the kid
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:36:42 PM EST (GMT-5)
I didn't say any of them were currently legal. I said we could pass additional laws that would do more to prevent them happening.

6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:37:04 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:28:23 PM Abzurd wrote:
No deaths. That’s a relief. Probably a few kids and staff in shock.


Definitely.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the kid- - hopefully they can get the help they seem to need...
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:37:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:36:42 PM birdsong4j wrote:
I didn't say any of them were currently legal. I said we could pass additional laws that would do more to prevent them happening.


So additional laws would make them more illegal than they currently are- - got it.

That should help...

6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:39:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:37:49 PM CowDung wrote:
So additional laws would make them more illegal than they currently are- - got it.

No, you don't "got it." Additional laws would increase the level of consequences people would face for doing those things.

For example, under current law, if you sell/transfer a gun in a private sale (whether it's to a friend, or to a stranger on CraigsList), you aren't responsible if they're legally prohibited from owning the gun, unless it can be shown you have good reason to know that they're legally prohibited. Requiring background checks for all private sales could end that practice entirely, because you would have to actually do the work (of going to an FFL) to affirm that they *were* legally allowed to own.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:41:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
That's a huge difference - and it could come with consequences if you, say, decided to sell your .38 to the kid from up the street without bothering to check whether he was actually of legal age/status to own the gun. Or if you sold a gun to your neighbor, who oops! has a felony conviction you didn't know about, from before you were neighbors. As of right now, you'd be completely responsibility-free, because you didn't *know* about that conviction. Requiring a background check would MAKE you responsible for knowing before you sold.
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:42:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
How many high school students have felony convictions?
6 days ago - Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:45:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 12/3/19 - 1:42:44 PM CowDung wrote:
How many high school students have felony convictions?

A background check would also turn up the fact that the person is not 18 years old yet, genius.

Prev 1 2 3 4 Next (showing 1-25 of 90)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit