[link] The high price of Amazon Prime. The investigation shows that Amazon`s rate of serious injury in its fulfillment centers was very high—more than twice the national average for the... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Ruthless Quotas at Amazon Are Permanently Maiming Employees

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next (showing 1-25 of 121)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

14 days ago - Monday 11/25/19 - 5:55:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...

The high price of Amazon Prime. The investigation shows that Amazon's rate of serious injury in its fulfillment centers was very high—more than twice the national average for the warehousing industry.
13 days ago - Monday 11/25/19 - 6:41:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
There is a documentary coming out soon about this.

I need to reconsider my shopping habits.
13 days ago - Monday 11/25/19 - 9:38:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
Good reporting takes time, and this certainly did, with all the FOIA requests for accident reports, etc. But this is still great timing for the article, right before the biggest shopping weekend of the year. Hopefully a lot of people will re-think ordering from them and try to shop local for many of their gifts.
13 days ago - Monday 11/25/19 - 10:45:28 PM EST (GMT-5)
I'll have to ask my friend how brutal her job is. So far she's actually liking it just fine this second go around, though she's definitely sore most days. It's just not unbearable for her yet.
13 days ago - Monday 11/25/19 - 11:29:39 PM EST (GMT-5)
Amazon is not forcing their employees to work there. Furthermore, constantly firing employees is not a good business strategy. Having employees constantly stress out about quotas and quit is also not a good business strategy.
13 days ago - Monday 11/25/19 - 11:59:35 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Monday 11/25/19 - 11:29:39 PM Noldor wrote:
Amazon is not forcing their employees to work there. Furthermore, constantly firing employees is not a good business strategy. Having employees constantly stress out about quotas and quit is also not a good business strategy.


Are you claiming Amazon doesn't have strict quotas? Are you claiming those quotas don't put extreme stress (physical and mental) on employees? And are you claiming that Amazon sees fulfillment employees as anything other than expendable cogs in the machine that makes Jeff Bezos a multi-billionaire?

Because if so...you're wrong on every single count.
13 days ago - Tuesday 11/26/19 - 12:54:45 AM EST (GMT-5)
Amazon employees are not in shackles being whipped by Jeff Bezos to work harder and faster. People are free to leave their jobs and look elsewhere.

Furthermore, Amazon needs workers for their operation to function. They’d only be hurting themselves by having working conditions so harsh that employees will quit as soon as they are able.
13 days ago - Tuesday 11/26/19 - 1:15:53 AM EST (GMT-5)
When people are desperate they will accept desperately bad work situations. Does that mean we shouldn't hold companies accountable for how they treat their employees?
13 days ago - Tuesday 11/26/19 - 1:34:42 AM EST (GMT-5)
And when companies get as big as Amazon (the second-largest employer in the entire US, behind Walmart), they reach a point where they literally do not have to give a sh*t about things like employee turnover. You're basically claiming that everyone who reports terrible working conditions in their fulfillment centers must be lying because if what they said were true, it would be "bad for business." As if Amazon has to care even a little bit about what happens to some $15/hr. grunt workers (hint: they definitely don't).
13 days ago - Tuesday 11/26/19 - 7:30:38 AM EST (GMT-5)
Big company = bad.
Small company = good.
12 days ago - Tuesday 11/26/19 - 8:24:41 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 11/26/19 - 12:54:45 AM Noldor wrote:
Amazon employees are not in shackles being whipped by Jeff Bezos to work harder and faster. People are free to leave their jobs and look elsewhere. Furthermore, Amazon needs workers for their operation to function. They’d only be hurting themselves by having working conditions so harsh that employees will quit as soon as they are able.

Unless it’s not as easy as you claim it is and people have to choose between paying their bills and leaving an abusive job because you’re dismissive of problems that are more complex than your tiny brain can handle.
12 days ago - Tuesday 11/26/19 - 8:25:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 11/26/19 - 7:30:38 AM CowDung wrote:
Big company = bad. Small company = good.

^another really dumb nazi / sea lion.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 10:18:56 AM EST (GMT-5)
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 11:52:03 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 11/26/19 - 8:24:41 PM GoGopher wrote:
Unless it’s not as easy as you claim it is

I didn’t claim it was easy. I claimed it’s possible.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 11:56:19 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 10:18:56 AM Abzurd wrote:
[link]


I actually worked on a program for warehouse workers that would plan out the shortest route for them to pull products. I’m not sure why Amazon doesn’t have a similar solution in place.

I’m going to guess that a lot of these claims are overblown.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:13:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 11/26/19 - 1:15:53 AM Spoonerism wrote:
When people are desperate they will accept desperately bad work situations. Does that mean we shouldn't hold companies accountable for how they treat their employees?


Trump economy has unemployment at historical lows- - why do you assume that all these people are so desperate to take and hold on to any job they can?
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:20:20 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 11:56:19 AM Noldor wrote:
I’m going to guess that a lot of these claims are overblown.

Did you even read the piece? Because it sure doesn't seem like you did.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:41:11 PM EST (GMT-5)
It's not a case of there not being enough jobs. It's that the majority of the jobs out there are poorly paid or lacking in benefits or just altogether insecure.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:43:56 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 11:56:19 AM Noldor wrote:
I’m going to guess that a lot of these claims are overblown.
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:20:20 PM birdsong4j wrote:
Did you even read the piece? Because it sure doesn't seem like you did.


Like the 54 year old person that hurt her back doing physical labor?

12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:45:24 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:41:11 PM Spoonerism wrote:
It's not a case of there not being enough jobs. It's that the majority of the jobs out there are poorly paid or lacking in benefits or just altogether insecure.


Got any data to back up your claim?


12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:48:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 11/26/19 - 1:15:53 AM Spoonerism wrote:
When people are desperate they will accept desperately bad work situations. Does that mean we shouldn't hold companies accountable for how they treat their employees?
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:13:19 PM CowDung wrote:
Trump economy has unemployment at historical lows- - why do you assume that all these people are so desperate to take and hold on to any job they can?

imo, any politician taking credit for low unemployment is one of the biggest hoax of Western civilizations.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:51:42 PM EST (GMT-5)
Fair point, but in this case, I was actually giving him the credit rather than him taking it.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:52:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:53:00 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 11:56:19 AM Noldor wrote:
I’m going to guess that a lot of these claims are overblown.
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:20:20 PM birdsong4j wrote:
Did you even read the piece? Because it sure doesn't seem like you did.

Most of it. Sounds like things that happen in any warehouse job. I also believe that even if Amazon management didn’t care about these things, lawsuits, bad press, and OSHA will force them to care.
12 days ago - Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:53:09 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 11:56:19 AM Noldor wrote:
I’m going to guess that a lot of these claims are overblown.
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:20:20 PM birdsong4j wrote:
Did you even read the piece? Because it sure doesn't seem like you did.
On Wednesday 11/27/19 - 12:43:56 PM CowDung wrote:
Like the 54 year old person that hurt her back doing physical labor?

Was thinking more of the person who was killed in an accident at an Amazon facility in Indiana, which was quietly swept under the rug after Amazon gave money to the right politicians.

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next (showing 1-25 of 121)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit