Streep had appeared on stage to accept the Cecil B. DeMille Award for her contributions to the entertainment industry, and seized the opportunity to speak out against President-Elect Donald Trump.... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Trump Reacts to Meryl Streep's Golden Globes Speech on Twitter

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next (showing 51-75 of 298)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:46:47 AM EST (GMT-5)
And I agree Mizu: A good leader would have let that pass right by him. But that's not who the public voted for.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:50:03 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:38:23 AM spacepeanut wrote:
Dacash, all actors have no credibility?
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:45:03 AM dacash wrote:
No credibility might be putting it too strongly. But as far as what they publicly project for consumption by you and I? Yeah, its a fantasy. That's what they do for a living.

Surely we can distinguish between their acting roles and their actual personalities?
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:08:56 AM EST (GMT-5)
If you can, then they aren't very good actors, are they?
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:10:05 AM EST (GMT-5)
Ummmm

On screen... Sure......

They're still people though, you know
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:11:12 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:08:56 AM dacash wrote:
If you can, then they aren't very good actors, are they?

What
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:14:05 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:08:56 AM dacash wrote:
If you can, then they aren't very good actors, are they?
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:11:12 AM cola wrote:
What

I'll try to use small words:
If you can tell when they are acting and when they are not, then they must not be very good at acting.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:16:15 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:10:05 AM spacepeanut wrote:
Ummmm On screen... Sure...... They're still people though, you know

Yes. They are still people. And there are many people, most really, who's political and other endorsements mean absolutely nothing to me. And many of those people *aren't* professional liars.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:21:31 AM EST (GMT-5)
there's more to acting than pretending to be someone else, and different approaches to it
some schools of acting are more about presenting an exaggerated dramatic character for the narrative than hoodwinking the audience into thinking that it's another person

that's why orson welles was such a great actor even though he was blatantly orson welles the whole time
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:25:29 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:10:05 AM spacepeanut wrote:
Ummmm On screen... Sure...... They're still people though, you know
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:16:15 AM dacash wrote:
Yes. They are still people. And there are many people, most really, who's political and other endorsements mean absolutely nothing to me. And many of those people *aren't* professional liars.


Again with the "professional liar" thing.

Alternatively you could describe actors as people who have studied the human condition in order to reflect and replay it in all its facets and are therefore uniquely qualified to comment on interpersonal behaviour.

Because, you know, perspective.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:27:57 AM EST (GMT-5)
Ive never watched a movie and been like "WAIT??? YOU MEAN THAT WOMAN ISNT REALLY A FASHION EXECUTIVE WHO TORTURES HER ASSISTANTS MENTALLY" Ever

I mean when i was like... 5 or 6 maybe


I think you're alone in your weird little coping planet there dacash
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:36:12 AM EST (GMT-5)
BTW, I loved that movie, cola.

But wait, you're telling me they aren't getting paid for saying things we all here agree are untrue? I mean, that's how they make their living isn't it? And if you cannot suspend your disbelief and immerse yourself in that for an hour or so - I'm the one with coping issues?
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:40:20 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 7:36:12 AM dacash wrote:
BTW, I loved that movie, cola. But wait, you're telling me they aren't getting paid for saying things we all here agree are untrue? I mean, that's how they make their living isn't it? And if you cannot suspend your disbelief and immerse yourself in that for an hour or so - I'm the one with coping issues?


It's not a lie though is it, as no one actually presents it as if it's true. Will Smith didn't really fight aliens, Arnie wasn't a robot, and no one actually drove miss daisy.

We know that when we watch it, it's kind of the point.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:18:11 AM EST (GMT-5)
Oh i can totally immerse myself in stories and have a huge capacity to suspend my disbelief but the second i go "man captain america is a badass" i remember that he is an actor and that theres so much technical work behind him holding that helicopter down to the ground that im like "man what a great movie" and i go back to it but when its over i go back to my life just like chris whatever goes back to being a guy, not captain america/that guy from not another teen movie/whatever else hes been in. Fantastic four? Sure
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:24:00 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 4:36:46 AM theBSR wrote:
I'm just not sure what you're talking about.
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:40:30 AM spacepeanut wrote:
There are countless examples for which I'm sure you'll find a terrible way of trying to excuse so I'm not going to even bother

Give me just one?

10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:27:57 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 4:36:46 AM theBSR wrote:
I'm just not sure what you're talking about.
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:40:30 AM spacepeanut wrote:
There are countless examples for which I'm sure you'll find a terrible way of trying to excuse so I'm not going to even bother
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:24:00 AM theBSR wrote:
Give me just one?


Maybe that church burner guy or the Trump supporters that attacked that Muslim woman on the subway...
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:31:56 AM EST (GMT-5)
So, Mizu, If I were to say something to you that we both know is not true, then because we both know it is not true, I'm not telling a lie?

To the contrary, those are generally the most offensive lies. But really, that's hardly the point. The point is that if that's how you make your living (creating fantasy for money, if you prefer it to professional liar) then how do *you* know when I'm not just doing that with anything I present to the public (ie a public speech made at an awards ceremony)?

Do you, for instance believe that what people put on FB tells the true story of who they are? Why then, for even a second, would you believe that someone who's whole livelihood depends on creating deceptions and indeed has everything to do with how you perceive them, would be forthright in their public displays?

And cola think I'm the one that can't separate reality from fantasy...
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:56:11 AM EST (GMT-5)
I just wanna say, that Streep has 157 awards for acting.

Also, Idk who said it, but someone said the people (or something to that extent) voted for Trump. No they didn't, and I really wish this particular lie would quit floating around.
The American people voted for Clinton, she won the popular vote by 3 million+. The electoral college i.e. a bunch of old rich white guys, voted for Trump.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:56:45 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:46:47 AM dacash wrote:
And I agree Mizu: A good leader would have let that pass right by him. But that's not who the public voted for.

Here it is
Dacash, see my above post
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:02:16 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:56:11 AM redreine wrote:
I just wanna say, that Streep has 157 awards for acting. Also, Idk who said it, but someone said the people (or something to that extent) voted for Trump. No they didn't, and I really wish this particular lie would quit floating around. The American people voted for Clinton, she won the popular vote by 3 million+. The electoral college i.e. a bunch of old rich white guys, voted for Trump.


Perhaps you should check out the demographics of the electoral college before claiming that it's a 'bunch of old rich white guys'...

...and the popular vote 'victory' was due to Clinton winning Lefty California by 4 million votes.
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:05:58 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:56:11 AM redreine wrote:
I just wanna say, that Streep has 157 awards for acting. .

having lots of awards is an important part of being overrated
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:08:12 AM EST (GMT-5)

I never cared about awards.

10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:10:28 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:56:11 AM redreine wrote:
I just wanna say, that Streep has 157 awards for acting. Also, Idk who said it, but someone said the people (or something to that extent) voted for Trump. No they didn't, and I really wish this particular lie would quit floating around. The American people voted for Clinton, she won the popular vote by 3 million+. The electoral college i.e. a bunch of old rich white guys, voted for Trump.
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:02:16 AM CowDung wrote:
Perhaps you should check out the demographics of the electoral college before claiming that it's a 'bunch of old rich white guys'... ...and the popular vote 'victory' was due to Clinton winning Lefty California by 4 million votes.

What's the percentage of rich old white vs anything else?
And where her votes came from and the political party*
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:11:50 AM EST (GMT-5)
Doesn't make any difference whatsoever, so I don't see why you and others bring it up
The simple fact is, more of the American population voted for her, thus America voted for her. The electoral college put him in office, not the American people
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:12:07 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 4:36:46 AM theBSR wrote:
I'm just not sure what you're talking about.
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 6:40:30 AM spacepeanut wrote:
There are countless examples for which I'm sure you'll find a terrible way of trying to excuse so I'm not going to even bother
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:24:00 AM theBSR wrote:
Give me just one?
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 8:27:57 AM CowDung wrote:
Maybe that church burner guy or the Trump supporters that attacked that Muslim woman on the subway...

Or the rioters that kicked and screamed cuz he lost or the people that came to disrupt his gatherings ...
10 days ago - Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:16:47 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:02:16 AM CowDung wrote:
Perhaps you should check out the demographics of the electoral college before claiming that it's a 'bunch of old rich white guys'... ...and the popular vote 'victory' was due to Clinton winning Lefty California by 4 million votes.
On Tuesday 1/10/17 - 9:10:28 AM redreine wrote:
What's the percentage of rich old white vs anything else? And where her votes came from and the political party*


Here's the list of electors- - can't tell ages, but there are many women and quite a few names that sound non-white ethnic...

http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/elect...

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next (showing 51-75 of 298)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit